Last edited 19 Nov 2020

VAT refunds on self-build homes

Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. The building must not be intended to be used for business purposes.

The refund applies whether the home owner carries out the building work themselves, or whether they use builders to do some, or all of the work for them. Refunds are also permitted where the home owner adds to or finishes a partly completed new building, but not for extra work carried out on a completed building.

Claims to HMRC can only be made once the construction is finished. Completion can be demonstrated by:

Claims must be made within three months of completion and refunds will normally be made within 30 banking days of receiving the claim.

Making a claim requires that VAT invoices have been obtained and that they are correct. VAT invoices must show:

It is much easier to collect, collate and process the appropriate paperwork as project progresses than it is to try to do so after the building is complete.

Claims can be made for:

Builder's services for new buildings should be zero-rated for VAT.

VAT paid on any professional or supervisory services cannot be reclaimed (although in kit houses this may be wrapped-up in the price of the kit), neither can VAT paid on services such as the hire of plant, tools and equipment.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

[edit] External references

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again