- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 02 Oct 2019
The council tax is a form of local property tax (LPT) collected by local councils. It was introduced in 1993 by the Local Government Finance Act 1992, when it replaced the unpopular Community Charge (Poll Tax).
People generally have to pay the council tax if they are 18 years old or over and own or rent a home.
The amount charged is based on:
- The valuation band for the home (A-H), as valued by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) on 1 April 1991.
- How much the local council charges for that band.
- Whether the occupant is eligible for a discount or exemption.
A dscount or exemption may be available if:
- The occupant is on a low income or benefits.
- They live on their own.
- No-one else in the home counts as an adult
- No-one living in the home counts as an adult.
- Everyone in the home is a full-time student.
- The home is condemned or unoccupied.
- It is a second home.
NB: Where properties are partly for business use and partly for domestic use, such as a pub or shop, where the owner lives on the premises or in a flat above the business, it may be necessary to pay both the council tax and business rates.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.
Joint support of Local Authority Historic Environment and Conservation Services.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is an outstanding achievement.
Buildings of the interwar years. Book review.
Ireland’s climate change sectoral adaptation plan.
Rethinking the acoustics of the office.
Various deterrent measures can help managers deal with avian problems.
Groups send message to government.