- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 11 Jan 2021
The council tax is a form of local property tax (LPT) collected by local councils. It was introduced in 1993 by the Local Government Finance Act 1992, when it replaced the unpopular Community Charge (Poll Tax).
People generally have to pay the council tax if they are 18 years old or over and own or rent a home.
The amount charged is based on:
- The valuation band for the home (A-H), as valued by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) on 1 April 1991.
- How much the local council charges for that band.
- Whether the occupant is eligible for a discount or exemption.
A dscount or exemption may be available if:
- The occupant is on a low income or benefits.
- They live on their own.
- No-one else in the home counts as an adult
- No-one living in the home counts as an adult.
- Everyone in the home is a full-time student.
- The home is condemned or unoccupied.
- It is a second home.
NB: Where properties are partly for business use and partly for domestic use, such as a pub or shop, where the owner lives on the premises or in a flat above the business, it may be necessary to pay both the council tax and business rates.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Myths and top tips.
CLC plans to ease impact of construction inflation.
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.