- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 May 2019
- particular events have caused, or are capable of causing, public concern, or
- there is public concern that particular events may have occurred.
The scope of inquiries is set out in thier terms of reference.
Public inquiries are often chaired by a judge, but can be led by a single person or a panel. They will accept written or oral evidence to determine the facts of the case and whether action is necessary and can compel testimony under oath and require the release of evidence. They may also seek advice from experts.
Jason Beer QC, suggested that public inquiries should address three key questions:
- What happened?
- Why did it happen and who is to blame?
- What can be done to prevent this happening again?
Core participants who have a significant interest in an inquiry can be awarded funds for legal representation, and those representatives may be permitted to question witnesses.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Planning appeal.
- Planning inquiry.
- Lyons Inquiry.
- Design Commission inquiry into design and behaviour in the built environment.
- Economic Affairs Committee inquiry into the economics of the housing market.
- Elliot Lake Mall Inquiry.
- Inquiry into the construction of Edinburgh schools view of the RIAS.
- The Inquiry - Mansion House Square v. Number 1 Poultry.
- Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
Featured articles and news
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.
Consider a career in the electrotechnical industry.
Exploring local assets of community significance. Book review.
Wood-burning stoves should not be used in thatch-roofed buildings.
Servitisation, smart systems and connectivity.
What happens to the Construction Products Regulation if there is no Brexit deal.
The first step to long-term prosperity.
The status and rights of employees in construction
Continuing to share environmental best practice.
The employee assistance programme EAP.