- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 07 Feb 2021
- particular events have caused, or are capable of causing, public concern, or
- there is public concern that particular events may have occurred.
The scope of inquiries is set out in thier terms of reference.
Public inquiries are often chaired by a judge, but can be led by a single person or a panel. They will accept written or oral evidence to determine the facts of the case and whether action is necessary and can compel testimony under oath and require the release of evidence. They may also seek advice from experts.
Jason Beer QC, suggested that public inquiries should address three key questions:
- What happened?
- Why did it happen and who is to blame?
- What can be done to prevent this happening again?
Core participants who have a significant interest in an inquiry can be awarded funds for legal representation, and those representatives may be permitted to question witnesses.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Planning appeal.
- Planning inquiry.
- Lyons Inquiry.
- Design Commission inquiry into design and behaviour in the built environment.
- Economic Affairs Committee inquiry into the economics of the housing market.
- Elliot Lake Mall Inquiry.
- Inquiry into the construction of Edinburgh schools view of the RIAS.
- The Inquiry - Mansion House Square v. Number 1 Poultry.
- Grenfell Tower Inquiry.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA explores US share of 2020 VRF market.
New fire safety requirement comes into force.
Different types of bridges are meant to move.
A logical approach to handling the internal voice of self doubt.
First fashionable in the US, decorative metal has become globally desirable.
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.