- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Aug 2020
Project manager's report for building design and construction
The project manager needs to ensure an adequate reporting structure and calendar is in place with the consultants and contractors. Frequency and dates of project meetings need to be co-ordinated with the reporting structure.
Reporting is required for a number of reasons:
- To keep client informed of project status.
- To confirm that the necessary management controls are being operated by the project team.
- To provide a discipline and structure for the team.
- As a communication mechanism for keeping whole team up to date.
- To provide an auditable trail of actions and decisions.
Progress reporting should record the status of the project at a particular date against what the position should have been; it should cover all aspects of the project, identify problems and decisions taken or required, and predict the outcome of the project.
Typical contents of a project manager's report would be:
- Executive summary.
- Legal agreements.
- Design status.
- Planning / building regulations status.
- Procurement status.
- Construction status.
- Statutory consents and approvals.
- Project programme and progress.
- Project financial report.
- Variation register update.
- Risk register update.
- Major decisions & approvals required
This text in based on an extract from PROJECT MANAGEMENT, by Eric Stokes and Saleem Akram. The original manual was published in 2008. It was developed within the scope of the LdV program, project number: 2009-1-PL1-LEO05-05016 entitled “Common Learning Outcomes for European Managers in Construction”. It is reproduced here in a slightly modified form with the kind permission of the Chartered Institute of Building.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.