- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Apr 2019
Project manager's report for building design and construction
The project manager needs to ensure an adequate reporting structure and calendar is in place with the consultants and contractors. Frequency and dates of project meetings need to be co-ordinated with the reporting structure.
Reporting is required for a number of reasons:
- To keep client informed of project status.
- To confirm that the necessary management controls are being operated by the project team.
- To provide a discipline and structure for the team.
- As a communication mechanism for keeping whole team up to date.
- To provide an auditable trail of actions and decisions.
Progress reporting should record the status of the project at a particular date against what the position should have been; it should cover all aspects of the project, identify problems and decisions taken or required, and predict the outcome of the project.
Typical contents of a project manager's report would be:
- Executive summary.
- Legal agreements.
- Design status.
- Planning / building regulations status.
- Procurement status.
- Construction status.
- Statutory consents and approvals.
- Project programme and progress.
- Project financial report.
- Variation register update.
- Risk register update.
- Major decisions & approvals required
This text in based on an extract from PROJECT MANAGEMENT, by Eric Stokes and Saleem Akram. The original manual was published in 2008. It was developed within the scope of the LdV program, project number: 2009-1-PL1-LEO05-05016 entitled “Common Learning Outcomes for European Managers in Construction”. It is reproduced here in a slightly modified form with the kind permission of the Chartered Institute of Building.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
New Wiki site is set to make BIM mainstream.
The various types and everything else.
Building legislation and guidance updates.
Designing offices to benefit employee performance.
And the award winners for 2019 are...
Articles of agreement
Guidance for local authorities and consultancies setting planning conditions.
A real deal – at last?
How does anastylosis help in the reconstructing of ancient monuments?
More than just aesthetic and historic values and meanings.