Government responsibility for the historic environment
In England, responsibilities for the historic environment can typically be found in three different areas of government:
- Planning: Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG)
- Culture: Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Environment: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Within Scotland, responsibilities can be found within:
- Planning: Directorate for the Built Environment and the Directorate for Planning and Environmental Appeals
- Culture: Directorate for Culture and Digital
- Environment: Rural and Environment Directorate
- Planning: Planning Inspectorate
- Culture: Heritage Department
- Environment: Department of Environment and Sustainability
Within Northern Ireland:
- Planning: Department of the Environment
- Culture: Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure
- Environment: Department of the Environment
- Historic England is the government's statutory advisor on England's historic environment, while Natural England is the statutory advisor on the natural environment.
- Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government.
- CADW is the Welsh Assembly Government's historic environment division.
- The Built Heritage Department of the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency maintain the heritage of the Northern Irish historic environment.Local authority archaeological and conservation teams also play a major role in UK heritage protection. They exist to record, protect and promote the historic environment in their area.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.