- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Jan 2018
Government responsibility for the historic environment
- Planning: Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
- Culture: Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Environment: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Within Scotland, responsibilities can be found within:
- Planning: Directorate for the Built Environment and the Directorate for Planning and Environmental Appeals
- Culture: Directorate for Culture and Digital
- Environment: Rural and Environment Directorate
- Planning: Planning Inspectorate
- Culture: Heritage Department
- Environment: Department of Environment and Sustainability
Within Northern Ireland:
- Planning: Department of the Environment
- Culture: Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure
- Environment: Department of the Environment
- Historic England is the government's statutory advisor on England's historic environment, while Natural England is the statutory advisor on the natural environment.
- Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government.
- CADW is the Welsh Assembly Government's historic environment division.
- The Built Heritage Department of the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency maintain the heritage of the Northern Irish historic environment.Local authority archaeological and conservation teams also play a major role in UK heritage protection. They exist to record, protect and promote the historic environment in their area.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
How not to upset the planners.
CEEQUAL International and how it works.
Communities across England are being encouraged to nominate heritage assets.
Access control in buildings.
MASTRO project – lifecycle costing and assessment.
Five things to consider before installing solar panels.
New conservation building for the Louvre completed.
A balance between character and climate.
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.