- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Jan 2021
Government responsibility for the historic environment
- Planning: Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
- Culture: Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Environment: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Within Scotland, responsibilities can be found within:
- Planning: Directorate for the Built Environment and the Directorate for Planning and Environmental Appeals
- Culture: Directorate for Culture and Digital
- Environment: Rural and Environment Directorate
- Planning: Planning Inspectorate
- Culture: Heritage Department
- Environment: Department of Environment and Sustainability
Within Northern Ireland:
- Planning: Department of the Environment
- Culture: Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure
- Environment: Department of the Environment
- Historic England is the government's statutory advisor on England's historic environment, while Natural England is the statutory advisor on the natural environment.
- Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government.
- CADW is the Welsh Assembly Government's historic environment division.
- The Built Heritage Department of the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency maintain the heritage of the Northern Irish historic environment.Local authority archaeological and conservation teams also play a major role in UK heritage protection. They exist to record, protect and promote the historic environment in their area.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Favoured in ancient settlements and garden cities but rejected in Circleville.
ICE seeks exceptional net zero projects.
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.