- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 13 Jan 2021
Government responsibility for the historic environment
- Planning: Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
- Culture: Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS)
- Environment: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Within Scotland, responsibilities can be found within:
- Planning: Directorate for the Built Environment and the Directorate for Planning and Environmental Appeals
- Culture: Directorate for Culture and Digital
- Environment: Rural and Environment Directorate
- Planning: Planning Inspectorate
- Culture: Heritage Department
- Environment: Department of Environment and Sustainability
Within Northern Ireland:
- Planning: Department of the Environment
- Culture: Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure
- Environment: Department of the Environment
- Historic England is the government's statutory advisor on England's historic environment, while Natural England is the statutory advisor on the natural environment.
- Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government.
- CADW is the Welsh Assembly Government's historic environment division.
- The Built Heritage Department of the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency maintain the heritage of the Northern Irish historic environment.Local authority archaeological and conservation teams also play a major role in UK heritage protection. They exist to record, protect and promote the historic environment in their area.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A brief description of time in the sun.
Given by ICE President Ed McCann.
Two new research reports published by APM.
50% off APM Associate membership for Designing Buildings users.
A commentary from the insurance perspective.
In brief with further links.
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !