- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Jul 2022
Future homes hub
In 2019, as part of what it called the green housing revolution, the Government published a green standard to cut carbon emissions by up to 80% for all new homes from 2025. Unveiled by the Housing Secretary the Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP, the Future Homes Standard aimed to promote and support the net zero target.
As part of this endeavour the Future Homes Task Force was set up in 2020. The brief for the Task force was to direct the construction and fabric efficiency of tomorrow’s new homes, how they are powered and how they take account of and impact on the environment within which they sit. The brief included the development of a master-plan, to sequence and prioritise work streams across the sector, including its supply chains, founded on the main environmental targets articulated by the government – the natural environment, resources, water, and air quality.
The Hubs website states:
In September 2020, the Future Homes Task Force was set up to develop a long-term delivery plan for the sector in line with the Government’s legally binding net zero and wider environmental targets. The Delivery Plan is divided into four areas with a goal and roadmap for each area.
The goals are:
- High-quality homes that are zero carbon ready and sustainable.
- Places and developments that are consistently low carbon, nature-rich, resilient, healthy, well designed and beautiful by 2025
- Production and construction methods that are net zero and sustainable by 2050 with substantial progress by 2025 and 2030.
- Businesses that are recognised and rewarded for net zero and sustainability performance
- Developing technical solutions for regulatory changes.
- Collaborating sector-wide to overcome barriers to successful implementation, for example on skills and supply chain.
- Developing industry-led proposals for current and future policy challenges.
- Creating the basis for measuring sustainability performance and capturing the value of improving performance.
- Communicating with all parts of the homebuilding sector, especially SME's.
- Facilitating sharing and learning across the sector.
- BRE Group response to the Future Homes Standard consultation.
- BRE response to the green housing revolution.
- Climate change Act.
- Energy Act.
- Energy Performance Certificates.
- Energy Related Products Regulations.
- Energy targets.
- Future Homes Standard.
- Government Construction Strategy.
- Home design prospects under the Future Homes Standard.
- Sustainable materials.
- UK Green Building Council.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
Dealing with draughts and reducing heat loss.
Managing Partner at Onyx and third gen project manager.
Expectation types, management and performance gaps.
Appointments, re-appointments and six changes a year.
New ways to manage the housing crisis.
Consortium seeks signatories for open letter by February 29.
Meaning, understanding and implementation.
Kick-start attempts causes 50% jump from December.
From climate to cost to cold bridges and design flexibility.
In a changing world at the APM PM SIG conference.
The glass product that opened up new possibilities.
Campaigning for buildings of all periods.
Full life cycle assessments, impact categories and more.
Get to know the new requirements and the new terms.
Reporting on Payment Practices and Performance Regs.
The ultimate companion for building services excellence.