This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article'.
There are 4 main stages to employment relations:
- Pre contractual.
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
Guidance notes assist practices to keep up to date with changing regulations
- RIBA employment policy
- Employment Rights act 1996
- Employment Act 2008
- Equality Act 2010 applies to all.
- Health and safety regulations.
 Nature of relationship
- 'Contract of employment' directly with employer
- Rights under Employment Rights act 1996 apply.
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time off to help dependants (emergency only e.g. death of dependant, child care) Without pay.
 Temporary employee
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full time status after 4 consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
 Part-time employee
- Working week/ hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reason for not.
 Agency Staff
- Tripartite relation with agency (employer) and end user.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated by end user on short notice.
Agency Workers Regulations 2010:
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
Onshore employment intermediaries act 2014:
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end user exploiting as means to avoid paying NI & tax.
- Usually engaged for specific project.
- No benefits as they are seen as a supplier.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996)
- Breach of disciplinary codes.
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A new concept unveiled to tackle the lack of sports facilities in inner cities.
'Open hand' designs revealed for a new entertainment complex in China.
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.