This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article'.
There are 4 main stages to employment relations:
- Pre contractual.
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
Guidance notes assist practices to keep up to date with changing regulations
- RIBA employment policy
- Employment Rights act 1996
- Employment Act 2008
- Equality Act 2010 applies to all.
- Health and safety regulations.
 Nature of relationship
- 'Contract of employment' directly with employer
- Rights under Employment Rights act 1996 apply.
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time off to help dependants (emergency only e.g. death of dependant, child care) Without pay.
 Temporary employee
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full time status after 4 consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
 Part-time employee
- Working week/ hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reason for not.
 Agency Staff
- Tripartite relation with agency (employer) and end user.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated by end user on short notice.
Agency Workers Regulations 2010:
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
Onshore employment intermediaries act 2014:
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end user exploiting as means to avoid paying NI & tax.
- Usually engaged for specific project.
- No benefits as they are seen as a supplier.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996)
- Breach of disciplinary codes.
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
We review a book aiming to unpick the complexities of building physics.
An introduction to the categories, procedures and types of listed buildings.
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.