- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jun 2018
This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article'.
There are 4 main stages to employment relations:
- Pre contractual.
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
Guidance notes assist practices to keep up to date with changing regulations
- RIBA employment policy
- Employment Rights act 1996
- Employment Act 2008
- Equality Act 2010 applies to all.
- Health and safety regulations.
 Nature of relationship
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time off to help dependants (emergency only e.g. death of dependant, child care) Without pay.
 Temporary employee
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full time status after 4 consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
 Part-time employee
- Working week/ hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reason for not.
- Tripartite relation with agency (employer) and end user.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated by end user on short notice.
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
Onshore employment intermediaries act 2014:
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end user exploiting as means to avoid paying NI & tax.
- Usually engaged for specific project.
- No benefits as they are seen as a supplier.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996)
- Breach of disciplinary codes.
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.