This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article'.
There are 4 main stages to employment relations:
- Pre contractual.
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
Guidance notes assist practices to keep up to date with changing regulations
- RIBA employment policy
- Employment Rights act 1996
- Employment Act 2008
- Equality Act 2010 applies to all.
- Health and safety regulations.
 Nature of relationship
- 'Contract of employment' directly with employer
- Rights under Employment Rights act 1996 apply.
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time off to help dependants (emergency only e.g. death of dependant, child care) Without pay.
 Temporary employee
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full time status after 4 consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
 Part-time employee
- Working week/ hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reason for not.
 Agency Staff
- Tripartite relation with agency (employer) and end user.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated by end user on short notice.
Agency Workers Regulations 2010:
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
Onshore employment intermediaries act 2014:
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end user exploiting as means to avoid paying NI & tax.
- Usually engaged for specific project.
- No benefits as they are seen as a supplier.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996)
- Breach of disciplinary codes.
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Architectural Technologist and designer explains software produced to create Passivhaus standard housing.
Manchester's tallest building development is awarded planning permission from council.
Controversial Walkie Talkie building is sold for record-breaking price.
Read our introductory article to the different types of structural load.
Erno Goldfinger's family home and modernist masterpiece - 2 Willow Road, Hampstead.
IHBC article asks - is the Bonfield Review blind to traditional buildings?
Do you know what an onigawara is? Find out here.
German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble on how to achieve a better investment framework for Africa.
3 ways the world’s fastest growing economies can close the infrastructure gap.
The sooner early warning notices can be appreciated as of mutual benefit rather than one-sided advantage, the better.
BSRIA responds to government green storage announcement.