- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Dec 2020
Development corporations can be created by statutory instruments to facilitate developments in areas that need large-scale coordination of investment and planning. They are a statutory bodies set up to regenerate a designated area, bringing land and buildings into effective use, and acting as the planning authority for that area.
- Urban Development Corporations (UDC), such as Ebbsfleet, which are accountable to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
- New Town Development Corporations such as Milton Keynes, also accountable to the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
- Mayoral Development Corporations, such as the London Legacy Development Corporation, created under powers given to the Mayor of London by the Localism Act 2011, and accountable to the Mayor.
- Drafting proposals for the new developments which the oversight authority can approve.
- Masterplanning and project development.
- Bringing on board private investment.
- Partnering with developers.
- Overseeing completion.
Housing Minister Dominic Raab MP said; “We need to build the homes our communities need and I’m committed to giving councils the tools they need to deliver. That’s why we’re giving councils the option of applying to establish development corporations. These will be locally accountable and must listen to the views of the community to ensure that the right homes are built in the right places.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British post-war mass housing.
- City deals.
- Compulsory purchase.
- Development consent order.
- Devolution and development.
- Eco Town.
- Enterprise zones.
- Garden cities.
- Garden town.
- Garden village.
- Growth and Infrastructure Bill.
- Growth deal.
- Housing zone.
- Local development order.
- Local Enterprise Partnerships.
- Localism Act.
- Neighbourhood planning.
- New Town Development Corporation.
- Simplified planning zones.
Featured articles and news
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.
Six ways to help our children learn.
BSRIA adds to its series of illustrated guides.
ECA calls for energy levy reform.
ICE considers creation of new professional designation.
Principles of conservation for bronze objects. Book review.
The untapped potential of charities, community organisations and social enterprises.