- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 01 Mar 2021
Contract terms for construction contracts
This article lists the terms that are commonly referred to in a construction contract. In some cases different contracts may use different terms, where this is the case, alternatives are shown.
NB The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) Glossary of procurement terms, suggests the contract term (or contract period) can also refer to: ‘…the length of time during which the contract operates... It begins with the START DATE and ends with the EXPIRY DATE. The start date is not necessarily the date on which the contract is signed, but the date on which it comes into effect. The expiry date may be expressed as an actual calendar date (preferred) or as a given number of months (e.g., 36 months) from the start date.’
- Application for payment (see fair payment practices)
- Architect's instruction / contract administrator's instruction
- Bill of quantities
- Building log book
- Building owner's manual / operation and maintenance manual (O&M manual)
- Building users guide
- Certificate of making good defects / certificate of making good
- Collateral warranty
- Construction phase plan
- Contract sum analysis
- Contractor design
- Contractor’s master programme
- Contractor’s proposals
- Default payment notice (see fair payment practices)
- Contract drawings
- Design documents
- Employers requirements
- Extensions of time
- Final account
- Final certificate
- Governing law
- Health and safety file
- Information release schedule
- Interim certificate
- Joint fire code
- Loss and expense
- Method statement
- Pay less notice (see fair payment practices)
- Parent company guarantee
- Payment notice (see fair payment practices)
- Performance bond
- Practical completion certificate / substantial completion certificate
- Risk assessment
- Schedule of defects
- Schedule of work
- Site waste management plan
- Strikes and lock outs
Featured articles and news
The last few days, but action needed over the next decade.
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
Promoting the importance of building and fire safety.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
From practice to research and the business of materials.