- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Aug 2019
Certificate of occupancy
In the United States, a certificate of occupancy (also known as a use-and-occupancy certificate) is a document issued by a local government agency or building department to confirm that a building is fit for human occupation.
- Construction of a new building or structure.
- Conversion of a building from one use to another.
- Change of ownership.
- Significant alteration to a building.
There are several reasons for obtaining a certificate of occupancy, including:
- To legally affirm that the building is in a habitable condition.
- To confirm that the building has been constructed and maintained in accordance with building codes and the specifications that were submitted to the local authority before construction began.
- To confirm the building’s classification of use.
- To enable the building to be sold legally.
The certificate will not be issued until all inspection requirements have been passed and any fines have been paid in full. Inspections often focus on ensuring that the building complies with fire safety codes, installation of services has been done correctly, and the building is structurally capable of withstanding likely seismic activity, and so on.
A temporary certificate of occupancy may be obtained which provides the same rights as an ordinary certificate but for a fixed period of time, which can vary from 30 to 90 days depending on the jurisdiction that issues it. Once it expires, the building owner can re-apply for another temporary certificate if required, for example, if the building is still undergoing construction work while part has been completed and is capable of being occupied.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.