CEEQUAL is the evidence-based sustainability assessment, rating and awards scheme for all types of civil engineering, infrastructure, landscaping and public realm projects. Launched in 2003, it was established to deliver improved specification, design and construction of works in those areas, and challenges and encourages people to adopt more sustainable living solutions. Project managers may be better able to recognise good sustainability outcomes the earlier they engage with the scheme.
CEEQUAL uses rigorous evidence-based assessment criteria and external verification to provide a result that can be made public and used in publicity. In addition, integration of CEEQUAL in the development of projects and contracts can positively influence design and construction management and often leads to significantly better outcomes than would otherwise have been the case.
The scheme can deliver:
- More sustainable projects in civil engineering;
- Performance improvements;
- Better value and cost reductions;
- Commitment to sustainability best practice;
- Enhanced team collaboration and
- Benchmarking and knowledge sharing.
Developed originally by a team led by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and financial support from the UK Government and ICE, the original development was managed by Crane Environmental with support from government departments and agencies. Leading civil engineering consultants and contractors, as well as industry associations, also supported the scheme’s development, including CIRIA, the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) and the Civil Engineering Contractors’ Association (CECA).
The scheme was launched following industry-wide consultation and trialling, and went public in June 2004 with the publication of Version 3 of the Assessment Manual for Projects. CEEQUAL has since become an accepted UK industry scheme for assessing environmental and sustainability performance in civil engineering and public realm projects.
In 2011, CEEQUAL for International Projects was launched, as was CEEQUAL for Term Contracts which made the methodology available for all civil engineering, infrastructure, landscaping and public realm works. CEEQUAL launched an upgraded and extended version 5 in summer 2012
In November 2015, CEEQUAL became part of the BRE Group and operates alongside BREEAM, another leading sustainability assessment method for buildings, master planning and infrastructure. The move gives CEEQUAL a clear association with the BREEAM family of schemes.
In June 2019, BRE Global launched CEEQUAL Version 6 to support infrastructure project teams’ sustainability goals. It combines the technical content of the CEEQUAL and BREEAM Infrastructure methodologies, and builds upon the well-proven processes of the CEEQUAL approach to assessment.
The launch of Version 6 marks the closure of both BREEAM Infrastructure (Pilot) and CEEQUAL Version 5 schemes. To aid transition, teams already working on CEEQUAL but who have not yet registered have until 30 September 2019 to register their projects to Version 5. Those who have already registered on these schemes are able to continue on them.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Research Establishment.
- BRE articles.
- BRE Trust.
- BREEAM and CEEQUAL.
- BREEAM and Tracker Plus.
- BREEAM associate online training.
- BREEAM In-Use International.
- BREEAM USA.
- BREEAM: Value multiplies while costs plummet.
- CEEQUAL version 6.
- Code for Sustainable Homes.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
- Ska rating.
- Sustainable Infrastructure Group's sustainable development goals workshop.
- WELL and BREEAM align.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.