buildingSMART is an alliance of construction and facilities management organisations established to standardise processes, workflows and procedures for building information modelling (BIM). It has representation across Europe, North America, the Middle East, Far East and Australasia.
Its mission is to, 'Proactively facilitate with key leaders the active use and promulgation of standards enabling civil infrastructure and building asset data and life-cycle processes to be seamlessly integrated openBIM standards, improving the value achieved from investments in the built environment and enhancing opportunities for growth.'
buildingSMART UK is the United Kingdom and Ireland chapter of the international buildingSMART programme. It is managed by the Building Research Establishment (BRE). Organisations within buildingSMART include consultants, contractors, supplies, building owners, facility managers, software vendors, government agencies, researchers and academics.
buildingSMART UK develops standards, tools and training for the construction industry to ensure it is familiar with open BIM and how it can be used to '…achieve greener, leaner and more efficient buildings and infrastructure in the UK.' It helps BIM users gain familiarity with BIM and encourages experienced users to extend the application of BIM.
Its work includes:
- BIM training and Accredited Professional status.
- International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) development.
- Construction Operations Building Information Exchange (COBie), a non-proprietary multi-page, spreadsheet data format for the publication of a subset of building information models (BIM) focused on delivering asset data rather that geometric information..
- Developement of Industry Foundation Classes (IFC), a neutral, non-proprietary data format used to describe, exchange and share information.
- International Framework for Dictionaries (IFD) development.
- Information Delivery Manual (IDM) development. Now known as the buildingSMART standard for processes.
- Interfacing with buildingSMART international.
- BuildingSMART Data Dictionary (bSDD). A catalogue of what objects are called (the 'vocabulary').
buildingSMART UK consists of:
- The BuildingSMART UK Management Board.
- The BuildingSMART UK Technical Group.
- The BuildingSMART UK User Group.
- BuildingSMART UK Training and accreditation.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building information modelling.
- BIM articles.
- BIM resources.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- Information Delivery Manual (IDM).
- International Organisation for Standardisation ISO.
- Open BIM.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Read about Belgrade's Brutalist landmark - the Western City Gate.
Read about the measures that can be taken by individuals to protect and minimise exposure to outdoor sourced air pollution.
Government announces leaseholds on new-build houses will be banned.
Transport Secretary announces public consultation into London's funding of Crossrail 2.
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.