buildingSMART is an alliance of construction and facilities management organisations established to standardise processes, workflows and procedures for building information modelling (BIM). It has representation across Europe, North America, the Middle East, Far East and Australasia.
Its mission is to, 'Proactively facilitate with key leaders the active use and promulgation of standards enabling civil infrastructure and building asset data and life-cycle processes to be seamlessly integrated openBIM standards, improving the value achieved from investments in the built environment and enhancing opportunities for growth.'
buildingSMART UK is the United Kingdom and Ireland chapter of the international buildingSMART programme. It is managed by the Building Research Establishment (BRE). Organisations within buildingSMART include consultants, contractors, supplies, building owners, facility managers, software vendors, government agencies, researchers and academics.
buildingSMART UK develops standards, tools and training for the construction industry to ensure it is familiar with open BIM and how it can be used to '…achieve greener, leaner and more efficient buildings and infrastructure in the UK.' It helps BIM users gain familiarity with BIM and encourages experienced users to extend the application of BIM.
Its work includes:
- BIM training and Accredited Professional status.
- International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) development.
- Construction Operations Building Information Exchange (COBie), a non-proprietary multi-page, spreadsheet data format for the publication of a subset of building information models (BIM) focused on delivering asset data rather that geometric information..
- Developement of Industry Foundation Classes (IFC), a neutral, non-proprietary data format used to describe, exchange and share information.
- International Framework for Dictionaries (IFD) development.
- Information Delivery Manual (IDM) development. Now known as the buildingSMART standard for processes.
- Interfacing with buildingSMART international.
- BuildingSMART Data Dictionary (bSDD). A catalogue of what objects are called (the 'vocabulary').
buildingSMART UK consists of:
- The BuildingSMART UK Management Board.
- The BuildingSMART UK Technical Group.
- The BuildingSMART UK User Group.
- BuildingSMART UK Training and accreditation.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building information modelling.
- BIM articles.
- BIM resources.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- Information Delivery Manual (IDM).
- International Organisation for Standardisation ISO.
- Open BIM.
 External references
Featured articles and news
We review a book aiming to unpick the complexities of building physics.
An introduction to the categories, procedures and types of listed buildings.
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.