- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Oct 2020
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
 BS 7883
BS 7883:2019 is the British Standard that covers anchor systems designed to ensure that people working at heights are adequately protected. It includes design, installation and inspection of anchor systems, which are a critical component of personal fall protection equipment.
The standard is intended for:
- System designers, installers and manufacturers.
- Inspectors and users of anchor devices and anchor systems.
- Interested parties (such as architects and structural engineers) responsible for the design of safe access and egress at height for buildings and structures.
- Examining bodies responsible for the installation, testing, commissioning and examination of anchor devices covered under BS EN 795:2012 (the European Standard covering requirements for single-user anchor devices that can be removed from a structure).
- Duty holders who hold responsibility to ensure the systems are inspected and maintained by competent persons.
BS 7883:2019 is a major revision of the 2005 edition and complements BS 8610, BS EN 795 and PD CEN/TS 16415.
BS 7883:2005 is widely used throughout the world, but as of late 2020 the 2019 revision has not commonly been adopted by the industry, due to the technical process and commercial challenges it presents. Clients and specifiers should ensure suppliers are complying with the current revision.
The primary goal of the standard is to define a suitable procedure for installers and inspectors of anchor systems to follow. It is only suitable for anchor systems used for the direct attachment of personal fall protection systems in the workplace.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 7883 guide released.
- Collective restraint systems.
- Fall arrest system.
- Fall prevention systems.
- Health and safety.
- Injuries on construction sites.
- Personal fall protection system.
- Safety in high places.
- Safety systems for working at heights.
- Work at height.
- Working at height - our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
- Work at height checklist for managers.
- Work at height regulations.
- Working at height training.
Featured articles and news
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.