- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Mar 2021
The British Standards Institution (BSI) is the UK National Standards Body (NSB). It publishes standards and provides a range of books, self-assessment tools, conferences and training services. It also represents UK economic and social interests in European and international standards organisations.
 BS 7883
BS 7883:2019 is the British Standard that covers anchor systems designed to ensure that people working at heights are adequately protected. It includes design, installation and inspection of anchor systems, which are a critical component of personal fall protection equipment.
The standard is intended for:
- System designers, installers and manufacturers.
- Inspectors and users of anchor devices and anchor systems.
- Interested parties (such as architects and structural engineers) responsible for the design of safe access and egress at height for buildings and structures.
- Examining bodies responsible for the installation, testing, commissioning and examination of anchor devices covered under BS EN 795:2012 (the European Standard covering requirements for single-user anchor devices that can be removed from a structure).
- Duty holders who hold responsibility to ensure the systems are inspected and maintained by competent persons.
BS 7883:2019 is a major revision of the 2005 edition and complements BS 8610, BS EN 795 and PD CEN/TS 16415.
BS 7883:2005 is widely used throughout the world, but as of late 2020 the 2019 revision has not commonly been adopted by the industry, due to the technical process and commercial challenges it presents. Clients and specifiers should ensure suppliers are complying with the current revision.
The primary goal of the standard is to define a suitable procedure for installers and inspectors of anchor systems to follow. It is only suitable for anchor systems used for the direct attachment of personal fall protection systems in the workplace.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- British Standards Institution BSI.
- BS 7883 guide released.
- Collective restraint systems.
- Fall arrest system.
- Fall prevention systems.
- Health and safety.
- Injuries on construction sites.
- Personal fall protection system.
- Safety in high places.
- Safety systems for working at heights.
- Work at height.
- Working at height - our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
- Work at height checklist for managers.
- Work at height regulations.
- Working at height training.
Featured articles and news
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.