- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Feb 2021
Fall arrest system
A personal fall arrest system (FAS) is a system designed to minimise injury if a worker should fall from a significant height and experience impact. The purpose of the system is not to stop the fall (that is the purpose of a fall restraint system or fall prevention system), but to limit the injuries that could happen to a worker as a result of the fall's impact.
These systems must be professionally installed and should be regularly inspected to ensure compliance with health and safety and CDM regulations (Construction Design and Management) regulations. These can be internal inspections carried out by the contractor, third party audits or external inspections by the Health and Safety Executive.
Fall arrest systems should be replaced when necessary. Training is required for proper usage.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BS 7883.
- BS 7883 guide released.
- Collective restraint systems.
- Dynamic self-retracting lanyard.
- Fall prevention systems.
- Injuries on construction sites.
- Personal fall protection system.
- Safety in high places.
- Safety systems for working at heights.
- Site safety.
- Work at height checklist for managers.
- Work at height regulations.
- Work at height.
- Working at height - our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
- Working at height training.
- Health and Safety Executive, A technical guide to the selection and use of fall prevention and arrest equipment, 2005.
- Health and Safety Executive, Inspecting fall arrest equipment made from webbing or rope, 2009.
- Health and Safety Executive, The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, 2015.
Featured articles and news
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.