- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 06 Jan 2022
What is an EPC contract?
- In an EPC contract, the project company will do some basic engineering before handing over the project to the contractor. In a turnkey contract, the owner would specify certain technical aspects of the project, and then the turnkey contractor will have all the project controls until the contract is complete.
- A turnkey contractor is responsible for the design, procurement and construction of the project. The contractor is also responsible for commissioning and handing over the ready-to-use project to the owner or the client. In EPC, the commissioning is not a part of the contract as in a turnkey contract.
 Engineering or designing aspects of an EPC contract
- Basic engineering.
- Detailed engineering.
- Detailed design.
- Construction engineering.
- Civil engineering.
 Procurement aspects of an EPC contract
The responsibilities in procurement are:
 Construction aspects of an EPC contract
- An EPC contractor handles the design and construction management.
- Electrical installation.
- Water supply.
- Sanitation and drainage work.
- Carving cupboards and showcases.
 Advantages of an EPC contract
- Single point of responsibility.
- Fixed contract price
- Fixed completion date
- Set performance specification.
- Performance guarantees.
- Caps on liability.
- Rights to suspend the project.
- Flexibility in ordering variations.
- Force majeure
 Limitations of an EPC contract
 Difference between EPC and EPCM contracts
The definition of EPCM is engineering, procurement, construction and management. Although it sounds similar to an EPC project, an EPCM contract is very different from the former. An EPC contractor handles design, procurement, construction and hands over the project to the end-user. By comparison, the EPCM contractor is mainly concerned with the supervision of the project, although an EPCM contractor is also responsible for the detailed design and the overall project management.
Featured articles and news
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.
Six ways to help our children learn.
BSRIA adds to its series of illustrated guides.
ECA calls for energy levy reform.
ICE considers creation of new professional designation.
Principles of conservation for bronze objects. Book review.
The untapped potential of charities, community organisations and social enterprises.