- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Mar 2019
Vrindavan Chandrodaya Mandir
Located in the Mathura district of Uttar Pradesh, India, the Hindu temple will have a footprint of around 5 acres and reach a height of 213 m (700 ft). It is being built by ISKCON Bangalore at a cost of 300 crore (US$45 million), making it one of the most expensive temples ever built.
The two distinct features of Nagara temple architecture are:
- In plan, the temple is a square with the middle of each side having a number of graduated projections resulting in a cruciform shape.
- In elevation, a Shikhara (tower), gradually inclines inwards in a convex curve. There is strong emphasis on vertical lines in the elevations.
Much more than just a temple, the structure will include a theme park, drawing inspiration from Vedic literature. A capsule elevator will take visitors through an immersive ‘light and sound experience’ up to a viewing deck.
The temple will commemorate the Hindu deity Lord Sri Krishna, who is said to have grown up in Vrindavan. Surrounding the temple, 26 acres of forest will be cultivated to emulate the descriptions given by Krishna of the 12 forests of Braj.
Content and images courtesy of InGenious Studio.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Ark Encounter, Kentucky.
- Lotus Temple.
- India looks at using plastic instead of sand.
- India needs to build more infrastructure fast. Here's how.
- Indian construction industry.
- Indian infrastructure.
- Mahabat Maqbara, India.
- Ryugyong Hotel, North Korea.
- Sagrada Familia.
- St. Basil’s Cathedral.
- St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Taj Mahal.
- Unusual building design of the week.
Featured articles and news
A history lesson in geographic information systems.
A low tech, easy to use method of extinguishing small fires.
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.