- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 May 2021
Also referred to as a ram attack, ram raiding is a fast and destructive form of burglary that is planned in advance. This type of security breach uses a motor vehicle (such as a motorcycle, car, van or truck) to break through the locked gates, doors or windows of a retail establishment, warehouse or some other building containing expensive goods and equipment for the purpose of committing a burglary. Ram raids may also be directed at cash points.
The term ram raid was introduced in the 1970s and became commonly used after several attacks were featured in the news. The occurrence of ram raids increased in the 1990s.
 Ram raid deterrents
There are several tactics that can be used to protect against ram raids.
- Bollards. Bollards can be used to prevent ram raiding and other forms of vehicle ramming attacks (such as those associated with acts of terrorism).
- Electronic barriers. These devices can also be activated in order to deter ram raid activities.
- Security guards. Physical security guards may serve as enough of a deterrent to keep burglars from planning an intrusion.
- CCTV. CCTV won’t stop a ram raid, but it may discourage burglars from organising such an attack, since they could provide evidence that might help police identify the perpetrators.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Myths and top tips.
CLC plans to ease impact of construction inflation.
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.