- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Aug 2017
Printing 3D models of buildings
Professions such as architects, landscape designers and other property experts used to rely on time-consuming, sometimes cumbersome techniques to create small-scale models of buildings. Now there is a more efficient option: the 3D printer. These devices can rapidly create accurate, fully-functional models of any almost any aspect of the built environment.
To get the best results, these simple steps should be followed.
- The required size of the model.
- Important external features.
- Visual details of the interior.
- Important colours and patterns.
- The dimensions will be more accurate.
- It is possible to make adjustments more easily.
- The image can be viewed from all angles.
There are printing specialists that can help with this if necessary. Being involved in this stage can make their own job easier in the long run.
 Find a suitable printing specialist
- A fully-equipped, modern workshop.
- Prototyping, engineering and design capabilities.
- An experienced, professional team.
- A keen eye for detail on all projects.
It is important to research which 3D printing specialists will be able to take on the project in a rapid, efficient and affordable way, producing an accurate scale model that properly replicates all the characteristics of the property.
 Choose an appropriate method
Lastly, it is necessary to work with the chosen 3D printing specialist to determine exactly how to create the model. While they will certainly use the 3D printers they have in their workshops, they may also suggest the following techniques for certain parts:
- Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machining.
- Hand crafting.
--Blueprint4d 03:21, 16 December 2014 (UTC)
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3D concrete printer.
- 3D printed bridge.
- 3D printing
- Building information modelling.
- Computer aided design.
- Computer aided manufacturing.
- How can drones transform construction processes?
- Modular buildings.
- Off-site prefabrication of buildings: A guide to connection choices.
- Rapid prototyping.
Featured articles and news
How do we measure air tightness in buildings?
The Housing Infrastructure Fund
Encouraging access to local amenities and sustainable transport.
Publish your thought leadership articles on Designing Buildings Wiki – for free.
Competence Steering Group publishes interim proposals to deliver safer buildings.
Indoor environments should provide a multi-sensory experience.
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.
Consider a career in the electrotechnical industry.
Exploring local assets of community significance. Book review.