Performance of exemplar buildings in use: Bridging the performance gap FB 78
Performance of exemplar buildings in use: Bridging the performance gap (FB 78) was edited by Yetunde Abdul and Mindy Hadi and published by BRE on 17 February 2016.
The 32-page report reviews the operational performance of three public-sector office buildings that were designed to achieve energy and water efficiency (although many of the lessons learned are equally applicable to the private sector).
It is based on a study carried out in 2010–2012, funded by BRE Trust, the Cabinet Office and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), which highlighted the benefits and challenges of environmental design in relation to the building handover process and the management of facilities.
All of the buildings were completed between 2005 and 2008, allowing enough time for the systems to bed down and for the building managers and FM teams to become familiar with managing them. They were designed to achieve an Excellent rating based on the version of BREEAM used at the time. They were reviewed for their energy and water consumption, and consumption trends were analysed. Feedback on their general operational performance was gathered from public-sector staff and their facilities management teams.
The report reviews the issues faced by designers, clients and building managers in bridging the gap between the designed performance and the actual operational performance of buildings over their lifetime.
The contents of the report are:
- Executive summary.
- Analysing data for the case study buildings.
- Case study 1.
- Case study 2.
- Case study 3.
- Summary of environmental performance for the case studies.
- Summary of issues identified and lessons learned.
- Outcomes and conclusions.
- Moving forward: tools and initiatives.
 Find out more.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building performance evaluation programme.
- Building performance evaluation.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Building use studies (BUS).
- Closing the gap between design and as-built performance.
- Performance gap.
- Performance in use.
- Post occupancy evaluation.
- Post project review.
- Soft landings.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.