- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Aug 2018
Specifications are written documents that describe the materials and workmanship required for a development. They do not include cost, quantity or drawn information but need to be read alongside other contract documentation such as quantities, schedules and drawings.
Written information about materials and workmanship should not appear on drawings or in bills of quantities as this can result in contradictory specifications and can cause considerable confusion, instead they should refer to the appropriate clauses in the specification.
The first stage in the development of a specification is the preparation of an outline specification. An outline specification is a brief description of the main components to be used in construction. They should be described in sufficient detail to allow the cost consultant to prepare some approximate quantities.
Components might include:
- Cladding (including external windows and doors).
- Internal walls and partitions.
- Internal doors.
- Building services (including lighting, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, water supply and drainage and other special installations).
- Fixtures and fittings (such as sanitary fittings).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bills of quantities.
- Common Arrangement of Work Sections.
- Contract documentation.
- Cost consultant.
- Insulation specification.
- Output-based specification.
- Performance specification.
- Prescriptive specification.
- Procurement route.
- Production information.
- Project brief.
- Schedule of accommodation.
- Specification basics.
- Tender documentation.
Featured articles and news
Their survival against the odds is a remarkable feature of the City’s history.
Immersed, charmed and inspired on conservation’s front line.
About JCT...and the rest
The Centre Building, London School of Economics
Architecture course essentials
Enhancing employee health and wellbeing
Underfloor heating opportunities as world radiator market cools.
Points to consider to make specifying sustainable.
It is not just about speed
The Flatiron Building, New York
Which way up should you lay a brick?