Last edited 15 Sep 2020

Material amendment to planning permission

It is sometimes necessary to change development proposals after planning permission has been granted.

There are three ways that this can be dealt with:

There is no statutory definition of what ‘minor material amendment’, ‘non-material amendment’ or ‘material amendment’ mean, instead, local authorities are responsible for deciding, given the local context in each case.

Guidance simply states that, ‘in deciding whether a change is material, a local planning authority must have regard to the effect of the change, together with any previous changes made’, and that, ‘minor material amendments are likely to include any amendment where its scale and/or nature results in a development which is not substantially different from the one which has been approved.’

Material amendments, for which a fresh application might be required could include:

A new application is always required for changes to listed building consents and conservation area consents.

If an application for a non-material or minor material amendment is rejected, a new permission must then be sought, and this can result in significant delays. It is advisable therefore that pre-application discussions should be held before any application to amend a permission is submitted.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again