Interactive CEEQUAL and Sustainable Development Goals mapping
In August 2020, BRE announced the launch of the interactive CEEQUAL and UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) mapping.
The SDGs are 17 overarching sustainability goals that are broken down into 169 targets and are measured through 247 indicators. The SDGs address the key global challenges being faced, such as climate change, environmental degradation and socio-economic issues such as human health and wellbeing, inequality and justice, visioning and aiming for a better, more sustainable world for all.
BRE have mapped the BREEAM and CEEQUAL schemes to the SDGs to show how they help to facilitate the achievement of these goals. The correlations between the two were shown through direct and indirect links between the issues and criteria within the schemes and the indicators of the Goals.
Every organisation has a part to play in facilitating the achievement of the SDGs, and the construction industry has an essential role in the move towards a more sustainable world for all. By aligning CEEQUAL to the goals, BRE can show how it is supporting the SDGs on an indicator level. There is a correlation between 14 of the 17 SDGs and the CEEQUAL criteria.
The interactive webpage allows users to explore the different SDG goals and quickly understand how and where criteria within the BREEAM suite support the built environment in achieving these goals. This will enable those assessing their assets to these schemes to easily map and demonstrate how their assets are being designed, constructed and operated in a way that supports the aims of the SDGs.
BRE have also developed a free downloadable pdf that explains the context of the BREEAM schemes in relation to the SDGs and provides a high level overview of the synergies between the schemes and various SDGs goals.
In BRE’s role to support the built environment in creating a more sustainable future for all, BREEAM and CEEQUAL will continue to develop their schemes to support the work of the SDGs and the interactive page will be updated as new versions of BREEAM & CEEQUAL schemes are launched.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- An interpretation of the SDG's for use at an infrastructure project level.
- BRE articles.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Helping achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.
- QSAND and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Sustainable Development Goals and civil engineering.
- Sustainable Development Goals and the triple bottom line.
- Sustainable Development Goals.
- Sustainable Infrastructure Group's sustainable development goals workshop.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here.
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content.
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.