- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Sep 2018
Project 13 is an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - led initiative to boost certainty and productivity in the delivery of infrastructure, to improve whole-life outcomes and to support a more sustainable, innovative, highly-skilled industry. It is a response to a general perception that the infrastructure sector’s current operating model is broken, with projects delivered over budget, over time and below par.
- The owner is central and leads the enterprise, defining long-term value.
- Suppliers and advisors have direct relationships with the owner.
- An ‘integrator’ actively engages and integrates all tiers of the market.
- The key suppliers, owner, advisor and integrator work as one team to optimise value.
|The organisation that plans and delivers the infrastructure programme. It manages the suppliers and advisors, coordinates planning, oversees design, construction, maintenance and operations as requested by the owner. This could be made up of a single company, or a collective performing the integrator function.|
It suggests that the responsibilities of the ‘integrator’ are to:
- Understand the value defined by the investors and the owners and the outcomes required from the programme.
- Respond to the definition of value and constraints by integrating services, engineering, supply, production and manufacturing.
- Provide the management capability and system to enable the enterprise to operate as an integrated organisation.
- To put in place systems, processes and capability to drive productivity.
- Own systems integration.
- During the delivery phase integrate; engineering and planning, supply of components and resources and production on site.
- Encourage and promote innovation into the enterprise.
- Build high-performing teams.
- Establish the procurement strategy and incentivised commercial agreements.
- Manage performance of advisors and suppliers.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.