- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 16 Jan 2021
Project 13 is an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - led initiative to boost certainty and productivity in the delivery of infrastructure, to improve whole-life outcomes and to support a more sustainable, innovative, highly-skilled industry. It is a response to a general perception that the infrastructure sector’s current operating model is broken, with projects delivered over budget, over time and below par.
- The owner is central and leads the enterprise, defining long-term value.
- Suppliers and advisors have direct relationships with the owner.
- An ‘integrator’ actively engages and integrates all tiers of the market.
- The key suppliers, owner, advisor and integrator work as one team to optimise value.
|The organisation that plans and delivers the infrastructure programme. It manages the suppliers and advisors, coordinates planning, oversees design, construction, maintenance and operations as requested by the owner. This could be made up of a single company, or a collective performing the integrator function.|
It suggests that the responsibilities of the ‘integrator’ are to:
- Understand the value defined by the investors and the owners and the outcomes required from the programme.
- Respond to the definition of value and constraints by integrating services, engineering, supply, production and manufacturing.
- Provide the management capability and system to enable the enterprise to operate as an integrated organisation.
- To put in place systems, processes and capability to drive productivity.
- Own systems integration.
- During the delivery phase integrate; engineering and planning, supply of components and resources and production on site.
- Encourage and promote innovation into the enterprise.
- Build high-performing teams.
- Establish the procurement strategy and incentivised commercial agreements.
- Manage performance of advisors and suppliers.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What's the verdict from the court of public opinion?
Shift to home-based work influences closed plan preferences.
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.