- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 21 Jan 2021
Enterprise model for infrastructure
Project 13 is an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - led initiative to boost certainty and productivity in the delivery of infrastructure, to improve whole-life outcomes and to support a more sustainable, innovative, highly-skilled industry. It is a response to a general perception that the infrastructure sector’s current operating model is broken, with projects delivered over budget, over time and below par.
- The owner is central and leads the enterprise, defining long-term value.
- Suppliers and advisors have direct relationships with the owner.
- An ‘integrator’ actively engages and integrates all tiers of the market.
- The key suppliers, owner, advisor and integrator work as one team to optimise value.
- Reward is based on value added to the overall outcomes, not service provided.
- There is a greater understanding of cost drivers and risk across all organisations, with commercial incentives for collaboration to jointly mitigate risk, not transfer it.
- Establishing a high-performing enterprise requires fundamentally different leadership, governance, behaviours and skills to succeed. This is underpinned by organisations with increasingly diverse skills and backgrounds.
‘… an integrated organisation, aligned and commercially incentivised to deliver better outcomes for customers from infrastructure investment. Such organisations are characterised by sophisticated, maturing and typically longer-term relationships between owners, investors, integrators, advisors and suppliers. The roles, capabilities and behaviours of an enterprise differ from those in much of the construction industry today and success will be underpinned by developing organisations with increasingly diverse backgrounds and skill sets.’
The enterprise is led by the owner who manages and operates the asset(s) and leads in identifying the needs of the asset(s) and promoting them to the investor. The investor is an enabler of the enterprise concerned with affordability, societal and financial benefits derived from optimal management of the asset(s).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.