- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Jan 2021
Enterprise model for infrastructure
Project 13 is an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - led initiative to boost certainty and productivity in the delivery of infrastructure, to improve whole-life outcomes and to support a more sustainable, innovative, highly-skilled industry. It is a response to a general perception that the infrastructure sector’s current operating model is broken, with projects delivered over budget, over time and below par.
- The owner is central and leads the enterprise, defining long-term value.
- Suppliers and advisors have direct relationships with the owner.
- An ‘integrator’ actively engages and integrates all tiers of the market.
- The key suppliers, owner, advisor and integrator work as one team to optimise value.
- Reward is based on value added to the overall outcomes, not service provided.
- There is a greater understanding of cost drivers and risk across all organisations, with commercial incentives for collaboration to jointly mitigate risk, not transfer it.
- Establishing a high-performing enterprise requires fundamentally different leadership, governance, behaviours and skills to succeed. This is underpinned by organisations with increasingly diverse skills and backgrounds.
‘… an integrated organisation, aligned and commercially incentivised to deliver better outcomes for customers from infrastructure investment. Such organisations are characterised by sophisticated, maturing and typically longer-term relationships between owners, investors, integrators, advisors and suppliers. The roles, capabilities and behaviours of an enterprise differ from those in much of the construction industry today and success will be underpinned by developing organisations with increasingly diverse backgrounds and skill sets.’
The enterprise is led by the owner who manages and operates the asset(s) and leads in identifying the needs of the asset(s) and promoting them to the investor. The investor is an enabler of the enterprise concerned with affordability, societal and financial benefits derived from optimal management of the asset(s).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.