- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 Feb 2021
Project 13 is an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - led initiative to boost certainty and productivity in the delivery of infrastructure, to improve whole-life outcomes and to support a more sustainable, innovative, highly-skilled industry. It is a response to a general perception that the infrastructure sector’s current operating model is broken, with projects delivered over budget, over time and below par.
- The owner is central and leads the enterprise, defining long-term value.
- Suppliers and advisors have direct relationships with the owner.
- An ‘integrator’ actively engages and integrates all tiers of the market.
- The key suppliers, owner, advisor and integrator work as one team to optimise value.
|The organisation(s) that reviews the infrastructure programme for viability, secures funding and dictates policy on how finance will be secured. They also contribute to the definition of value with indirect benefits such as socio-economic outcomes.|
It suggests that the responsibilities of the ‘investor’ are to:
- Lead the financial strategy.
- Realise the financial benefits/return on investment.
- Approve the business case and delivery strategy (in conjunction with the owner).
- Agree the value outcome with the owner through the business case (in conjunction with the owner).
- Respond to external environment/risks.
- Develop policy and strategic plans.
- Define value and non-asset outcomes expected from the investment (e.g. socio-economic benefits expected) in line with the corporate responsibilities in Section 172 of the Companies Act for Private Sector Investors.
- Develop a highly aligned (and longer-term) relationship with the owner.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Different types of bridges are meant to move.
A logical approach to handling the internal voice of self doubt.
First fashionable in the US, decorative metal has become globally desirable.
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.