- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 Feb 2021
Project 13 is an Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) - led initiative to boost certainty and productivity in the delivery of infrastructure, to improve whole-life outcomes and to support a more sustainable, innovative, highly-skilled industry. It is a response to a general perception that the infrastructure sector’s current operating model is broken, with projects delivered over budget, over time and below par.
- The owner is central and leads the enterprise, defining long-term value.
- Suppliers and advisors have direct relationships with the owner.
- An ‘integrator’ actively engages and integrates all tiers of the market.
- The key suppliers, owner, advisor and integrator work as one team to optimise value.
|The organisation(s) that reviews the infrastructure programme for viability, secures funding and dictates policy on how finance will be secured. They also contribute to the definition of value with indirect benefits such as socio-economic outcomes.|
It suggests that the responsibilities of the ‘investor’ are to:
- Lead the financial strategy.
- Realise the financial benefits/return on investment.
- Approve the business case and delivery strategy (in conjunction with the owner).
- Agree the value outcome with the owner through the business case (in conjunction with the owner).
- Respond to external environment/risks.
- Develop policy and strategic plans.
- Define value and non-asset outcomes expected from the investment (e.g. socio-economic benefits expected) in line with the corporate responsibilities in Section 172 of the Companies Act for Private Sector Investors.
- Develop a highly aligned (and longer-term) relationship with the owner.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targetted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report