- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Sep 2018
Repeated wetting, drying, freezing and thawing of the fabric of a building can cause problems such as damp, condensation, mould growth and loss of thermal performance, and may even result in premature failure.
Computer-based hygrothermal modelling simulates the movement of heat and moisture, generating information relating to temperature, water content and relative humidity within multi-layer building elements.
- Water leaks.
- Wicking of groundwater.
- Penetrating and rising damp.
- Air infiltration and condensation through the building fabric.
- Vapour diffusion.
By simulating the performance of building assemblies, the risks of problems associated with these mechanisms can be evaluated and minimised. By understanding risks such as condensation, moisture entrapment, fungal growth, material degradation, and so on, the correct balance between heat and moisture can be achieved.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A Practical Guide to Building Thermal Modelling.
- Cold bridge.
- Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction FB 69.
- Conventions for calculating linear thermal transmittance and temperature factors.
- Damp in buildings.
- Dynamic thermal modelling of closed loop geothermal heat pump systems.
- Heat transfer.
- The thermal behaviour of spaces enclosed by fabric membranes (Thesis).
- Thermal behaviour of architectural fabric structures.
- Thermography for traditional buildings.
- Understanding dampness.
- Wall insulation and moisture risk.
- Water vapour.
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.