- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Sep 2017
Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction FB 69
Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction (FB 69) was written by Richard Chitty and Chunli Cao and published on 15 September 2014.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a tool that can be used in the design of buildings to simulate aspects of a building's thermal and ventilation performance, fire engineering, its impact on the local environment and so on. For more information see: Computational fluid dynamics.
FB 69 sets out the background to the CFD methodology for non-experts such as building control bodies and other regulatory authorities and discusses the current capabilities and limitations of CFD for building design.
The process of reviewing CFD predictions can be dependent on identifying ‘schoolboy’ errors, such as supersonic wind speeds, using simple sanity checks based on experience of the real world. Visualisation methods often mask the difference between qualitative simulations to demonstrate the feasibility of a concept and quantitative simulations required to prove the functionality of different aspects of design.
Its contents include:
- Computational fluid dynamics explained.
- Computational fluid dynamics in use.
- Fire safety design.
- Ventilation and thermal comfort.
- Wind loading.
- Micro-climate around buildings.
- Case study 1: Fire simulation.
- Case study 2: Natural ventilation.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A Practical Guide to Building Thermal Modelling.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Computational fluid dynamics.
- Conventions for calculating linear thermal transmittance and temperature factors.
- Dynamic thermal modelling of closed loop geothermal heat pump systems.
- Heat transfer.
- Indoor air velocity.
- Mass transfer.
- The design of temporary structures and wind adjacent to tall buildings.
- The thermal behaviour of spaces enclosed by fabric membranes (Thesis).
Featured articles and news
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.
Dr Nicholas Falk, director of the URBED Trust, explains why metro cities are the future of urbanisation.