- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Dec 2020
Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction FB 69
Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction (FB 69) was written by Richard Chitty and Chunli Cao and published on 15 September 2014.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a tool that can be used in the design of buildings to simulate aspects of a building's thermal and ventilation performance, fire engineering, its impact on the local environment and so on. For more information see: Computational fluid dynamics.
FB 69 sets out the background to the CFD methodology for non-experts such as building control bodies and other regulatory authorities and discusses the current capabilities and limitations of CFD for building design.
The process of reviewing CFD predictions can be dependent on identifying ‘schoolboy’ errors, such as supersonic wind speeds, using simple sanity checks based on experience of the real world. Visualisation methods often mask the difference between qualitative simulations to demonstrate the feasibility of a concept and quantitative simulations required to prove the functionality of different aspects of design.
Its contents include:
- Computational fluid dynamics explained.
- Computational fluid dynamics in use.
- Fire safety design.
- Ventilation and thermal comfort.
- Wind loading.
- Micro-climate around buildings.
- Case study 1: Fire simulation.
- Case study 2: Natural ventilation.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A Practical Guide to Building Thermal Modelling.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Computational fluid dynamics.
- Conventions for calculating linear thermal transmittance and temperature factors.
- Dynamic thermal modelling of closed loop geothermal heat pump systems.
- Heat transfer.
- Indoor air velocity.
- Integrating CFD into the design process.
- Mass transfer.
- The design of temporary structures and wind adjacent to tall buildings.
- The thermal behaviour of spaces enclosed by fabric membranes (Thesis).
- Thermal dynamic analysis.
Featured articles and news
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.