- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Jun 2019
Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction FB 69
Computational fluid dynamics in building design: An introduction (FB 69) was written by Richard Chitty and Chunli Cao and published on 15 September 2014.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a tool that can be used in the design of buildings to simulate aspects of a building's thermal and ventilation performance, fire engineering, its impact on the local environment and so on. For more information see: Computational fluid dynamics.
FB 69 sets out the background to the CFD methodology for non-experts such as building control bodies and other regulatory authorities and discusses the current capabilities and limitations of CFD for building design.
The process of reviewing CFD predictions can be dependent on identifying ‘schoolboy’ errors, such as supersonic wind speeds, using simple sanity checks based on experience of the real world. Visualisation methods often mask the difference between qualitative simulations to demonstrate the feasibility of a concept and quantitative simulations required to prove the functionality of different aspects of design.
Its contents include:
- Computational fluid dynamics explained.
- Computational fluid dynamics in use.
- Fire safety design.
- Ventilation and thermal comfort.
- Wind loading.
- Micro-climate around buildings.
- Case study 1: Fire simulation.
- Case study 2: Natural ventilation.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- A Practical Guide to Building Thermal Modelling.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Computational fluid dynamics.
- Conventions for calculating linear thermal transmittance and temperature factors.
- Dynamic thermal modelling of closed loop geothermal heat pump systems.
- Heat transfer.
- Indoor air velocity.
- Integrating CFD into the design process.
- Mass transfer.
- The design of temporary structures and wind adjacent to tall buildings.
- The thermal behaviour of spaces enclosed by fabric membranes (Thesis).
- Thermal dynamic analysis.
Featured articles and news
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.
How Paul Williams bent over backwards to overcome racial barriers.