- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Sep 2017
The mesh is formed into the shape of the structure in thin sections, and should mesh uniformly throughout the cross-section. Rebar is sometimes used as a means of stiffening the structure. On both sides of the reinforcement layer the stiff mortar is applied to the required thickness. Care must be taken to completely cover with metal with mortar, or else the metal may be at risk of corrosion.
The advantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- It can be fabricated into any shape required.
- Construction is relatively easy and low-skill.
- It is a lightweight material with good durability.
- Relatively cost-effective.
The disadvantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- Fastening with bolts, screws, nails, and such like, can be difficult on ferro-cement.
- Labour-intensive construction process.
- Tying rods and mesh together is time-consuming.
- Can be vulnerable to puncture from pointed objects.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Everything you need to know about acoustics in under 800 words.
Check out our list of the 90 most unusual buildings of all time.
The government is to set a personal consumption target to reduce water use.
BSRIA calls for more education to promote fuels that are fit to burn.
Michael Gove admits air pollution is making people ill and shortening lives.
BRE call for a clearer, focused drive for the delivery of sustainable, quality developments.
Proposals for a 140m high observation wheel next to the Tyne.
Consistently one of our most popular articles - so just how much do you know about BoQ's?
Significant updates encourage whole building life cycle assessment and recognise products with Environmental Product Declarations.
Gustavo Giovannoni’s role in integrating modern planning requirements into historic town centres.