- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Oct 2020
The mesh is formed into the shape of the structure in thin sections, and should mesh uniformly throughout the cross-section. Rebar is sometimes used as a means of stiffening the structure. On both sides of the reinforcement layer the stiff mortar is applied to the required thickness. Care must be taken to completely cover with metal with mortar, or else the metal may be at risk of corrosion.
The advantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- It can be fabricated into any shape required.
- Construction is relatively easy and low-skill.
- It is a lightweight material with good durability.
- Relatively cost-effective.
The disadvantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- Fastening with bolts, screws, nails, and such like, can be difficult on ferro-cement.
- Labour-intensive construction process.
- Tying rods and mesh together is time-consuming.
- Can be vulnerable to puncture from pointed objects.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.