- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 Oct 2020
The mesh is formed into the shape of the structure in thin sections, and should mesh uniformly throughout the cross-section. Rebar is sometimes used as a means of stiffening the structure. On both sides of the reinforcement layer the stiff mortar is applied to the required thickness. Care must be taken to completely cover with metal with mortar, or else the metal may be at risk of corrosion.
The advantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- It can be fabricated into any shape required.
- Construction is relatively easy and low-skill.
- It is a lightweight material with good durability.
- Relatively cost-effective.
The disadvantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- Fastening with bolts, screws, nails, and such like, can be difficult on ferro-cement.
- Labour-intensive construction process.
- Tying rods and mesh together is time-consuming.
- Can be vulnerable to puncture from pointed objects.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.