- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Jun 2019
There are four main stages to employment relations:
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
 Nature of relationship
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time-off to help dependants (emergency only, e.g. death of dependant, child care) without pay.
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed-term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full-time status after four consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
- Working week/hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request for part time working - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reasons for not doing so.
- Tripartite relation with agency, employer and staff.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated on short notice.
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end-user avoiding paying national insurance and tax.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996) include:
- Breach of disciplinary codes.
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.