- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Feb 2021
There are four main stages to employment relations:
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
 Nature of relationship
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time-off to help dependants (emergency only, e.g. death of dependant, child care) without pay.
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed-term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full-time status after four consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
- Working week/hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request for part time working - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reasons for not doing so.
- Tripartite relation with agency, employer and staff.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated on short notice.
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end-user avoiding paying national insurance and tax.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996) include:
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.