- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Feb 2022
There are four main stages to employment relations:
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
 Nature of relationship
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time-off to help dependants (emergency only, e.g. death of dependant, child care) without pay.
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed-term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full-time status after four consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
- Working week/hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request for part time working - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reasons for not doing so.
- Tripartite relation with agency, employer and staff.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated on short notice.
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end-user avoiding paying national insurance and tax.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996) include:
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
Featured articles and news
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.
And CIOB's response.
Presidential update from CIAT's Eddie Weir PCIAT.
Rates freeze, NI cuts, full expensing; early election?
Could this be a remedy for condensation, damp or mould?
Unlocking a Healthier Tomorrow
Call for ministerial group and National Retrofit Delivery Plan.
The Great Transformation 1860–1920. Book review.
Including the devolved governments, CIOB, ECA, APM and IHBC.
AT awards small to medium size project category winner.
Formal and informal adaptive re-use or new use of buildings.
Temperatures hit new highs, yet world fails to cut emissions (again).