- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Feb 2022
There are four main stages to employment relations:
- Formation of relationship - contract agreement
- Employment period.
- Termination of relationship.
 Legislation and guidance
 Nature of relationship
- Long term relationship of mutual trust and respect.
- Holiday pay.
- Regular agreed pay.
- Sick leave pay.
- Access to pension scheme.
- Time-off to help dependants (emergency only, e.g. death of dependant, child care) without pay.
Similar to an employee, but:
- Fixed-term contract with an end date.
- Can apply for full-time status after four consecutive renewals of the same contract.
- Objective justification for employer to decline.
- Working week/hours defined.
- Entitled to the same benefits as employee.
- Employer legally required to consider request for part time working - they are not obliged to agree but must have sound business reasons for not doing so.
- Tripartite relation with agency, employer and staff.
- Contract between agency and employer.
- Benefits are dealt with by agency.
- Can be terminated on short notice.
- Principal of equal treatment
- Right to the same basic working and employment conditions as if engaged directly by hirer.
- Treated as employee for tax purposes. This prevents the end-user avoiding paying national insurance and tax.
Fair reasons for dismissal S98 (ERA 1996) include:
Procedures for fair dismissal are outlined in the Employment Act 2008.
Featured articles and news
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targetted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report