- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 16 Jan 2021
Designing to reduce the chemical, biological and radiological vulnerability of new buildings (IP 7/15)
On 7 September 2015, BRE published Designing to reduce the chemical, biological and radiological vulnerability of new buildings (IP 7/15) by Vina Kukadia and Alan Abela.
If there were a chemical, biological or radiological (CBR) release, it could have a major impact on buildings, their occupants and business operations and services. However, buildings are generally not designed to offer protection against CBR events.
Once built, retrofitting to mitigate against CBR impacts is time-consuming, disruptive and expensive. It is important therefore to consider and incorporate means of reducing the impact of CBR releases as an part of the initial design, planning and construction process.
This 12-page Information Paper considers ventilation and infiltration as the main potential routes for the ingress of contaminants into buildings and provides an overview of existing design standards, methods and practices that may be implemented at the design stage without adding significantly to costs.
Designing for CBR can:
- Improve the security and protection for occupants.
- Enhance indoor environments as a result of less environmental pollution ingress.
- Offer commercial advantages to developers from providing a high-quality building with an advanced level of security and protection.
- Shorten recovery phase following a CBR release, which may otherwise be extensive.
- Offer savings in costs for remediation.
The contents of the paper include:
- Ingress of contaminants into buildings.
- Building air permeability (airtightness).
- Physical security of plant and equipment.
- Fire safety and CBR incidents.
- Building zoning.
- Shelter-in-place and incident response strategies.
- Building information modelling.
- References and further reading.
- Appendix: Summary of strategies to reduce the impact of CBR releases on buildings.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Deleterious materials.
- Environmental health.
- Hazardous substances.
- Indoor air quality.
- Methane and other gasses from the ground.
- Solid and liquid contaminants risk assessments.
Featured articles and news
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.