- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Nov 2018
BSRIA briefing 2016
Legislation is in place to ensure minimum comfort is achieved, but the demands of an ever-changing hi-tech world require higher standards of environmental performance to improve the wellbeing, comfort and productivity.
The event looked at the ideas and concepts behind these issues and what we can learn from other industries. It took the form of a morning briefing followed by a lunch, with guest speaker the Rt Hon Lord (Paddy) Ashdown who gave a topical speech and took questions from the floor.
Other speakers included:
- Professor Paul Cullinan, Honorary Consultant in Respiratory Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, London;
- Nicola Gillen, European Practice Lead for Strategy Plus, AECOM;
- Professor Stephen Holgate, MRC Professor of Immunopharmacology at the University of Southampton;
- Ben Roberts, Senior Mechanical Engineer, Hoare Lea & Partners;
- Matthew Webster, Head of Wellbeing and Futureproofing, British Land
- Roderic Bunn, Building Performance Analyst, BSRIA.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive at BSRIA said: “Wellbeing touches everybody’s life on a daily basis. It leads to a healthier workforce, which in turn leads to a more productive workforce. This naturally means a higher profit margin for industry and business... Good indoor environment and the potential issues to health about poor environment cannot be underestimated.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE wellbeing research paper competition.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BSRIA 2017 Briefing.
- BSRIA briefing 2018.
- Building related illness.
- Building services.
- Indoor air quality.
- Indoor environmental quality.
- Performance and wellbeing, beyond compliance.
- Sick building syndrome.
- Thermal comfort.
- WELL Building Standard.
- Wellbeing and creativity in workplace design - case studies.
Featured articles and news
What should be evaluated to assess building performance?
BIM standards BS 1192:2007+A2:2016 and PAS 1192-2:2013 have been superceded.
What is biophilic design and how can it increase wellbeing?
80 experts come up with the top 7 mistakes the industry makes with BREEAM.
Compliance cannot be verified by inspection on delivery.
Some electric cars have batteries that give a range of over 350 miles.
Assembling, curating, caring for, and designing the future.
A sensitive approach to renovating a building of historic stature.
UK energy policy uncertainty as Welsh project put on hold
What collaborative working achieves and how it can be put in place.
BSRIA publishes the 2019 edition of its small but concise annual databook.
Using QSAND to measure the performance of disaster response.
What U-values are, why they matter and how they are calculated.