- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Apr 2019
BSRIA briefing 2016
Legislation is in place to ensure minimum comfort is achieved, but the demands of an ever-changing hi-tech world require higher standards of environmental performance to improve the wellbeing, comfort and productivity.
The event looked at the ideas and concepts behind these issues and what we can learn from other industries. It took the form of a morning briefing followed by a lunch, with guest speaker the Rt Hon Lord (Paddy) Ashdown who gave a topical speech and took questions from the floor.
Other speakers included:
- Professor Paul Cullinan, Honorary Consultant in Respiratory Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, London;
- Nicola Gillen, European Practice Lead for Strategy Plus, AECOM;
- Professor Stephen Holgate, MRC Professor of Immunopharmacology at the University of Southampton;
- Ben Roberts, Senior Mechanical Engineer, Hoare Lea & Partners;
- Matthew Webster, Head of Wellbeing and Futureproofing, British Land
- Roderic Bunn, Building Performance Analyst, BSRIA.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive at BSRIA said: “Wellbeing touches everybody’s life on a daily basis. It leads to a healthier workforce, which in turn leads to a more productive workforce. This naturally means a higher profit margin for industry and business... Good indoor environment and the potential issues to health about poor environment cannot be underestimated.”
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE wellbeing research paper competition.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BSRIA Briefing 2017.
- BSRIA briefing 2018.
- BSRIA briefing 2019.
- Building related illness.
- Building services.
- Indoor air quality.
- Indoor environmental quality.
- Performance and wellbeing, beyond compliance.
- Sick building syndrome.
- Thermal comfort.
- WELL Building Standard.
- Wellbeing and creativity in workplace design - case studies.
Featured articles and news
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.