- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 06 Jan 2018
Assessing the fire performance of existing reinforced concrete flooring systems IP 9 12
Assessing the fire performance of existing reinforced concrete flooring systems (IP 9/12) was written by Tom Lennon and published by BRE on 27 March 2012.
During their lifetimes, buildings may be refurbished or renovated, often to provide functions not envisaged when they were originally designed. As a result, their structure may no longer achieve the required fire resistance, and defects or material degradation may mean it no longer achieves the performance assumed when it was built.
This 12-page information paper provides guidance on assessing the fire performance of reinforced concrete flooring systems, which were often used in large buildings built in the post-war period. It provides information about carrying out assessments using tabulated values from national standards and the Eurocode for the design of concrete structures, as well as experience and research by the Fire Research Station (now part of BRE Group).
The contents of the information paper are:
- Concrete in fire.
- Tabulated data for reinforced concrete floors.
- Alternative forms of construction.
- Methods to enhance the fire resistance of existing floor systems.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document B.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- BS 9999.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Concrete and fire safety.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Managing fire risk in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Managing risks in existing buildings: An overview of UK risk-based legislation for commercial and industrial premises (FB 86).
- Reinforced concrete.
Featured articles and news
Balfour Beatty fined £500,000 for exposing workers to hand-arm vibration.
James Brokenshire launches a consultation on banning combustible cladding.
A year after Grenfell, we have a collection of 30 articles telling you everything you need to know.
ICE publish a policy paper on the UK’s future interconnectivity with the EU and the challenges for infrastructure.
Detailed guidance about construction waste management.
The changing identity of London communities in the face of rapid urbanisation.
Can you help? We have 300 industry acronyms beginning with 'C' but none beginning with 'Y'.
From the sinister Carceri d’Invenzione to the triple portrait of Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn and his Grand Tour travelling companions.
BSRIA launch the 5th edition of the Design Framework for Building Services (BG 6/2018).
Stella Rimmington famously said the construction industry was just as tricky as the KGB.
Construction site visitor cards are to be withdrawn.
3 WTC opens, RSHP’s first built project in New York.