- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Jan 2021
Assessing the fire performance of existing reinforced concrete flooring systems IP 9 12
Assessing the fire performance of existing reinforced concrete flooring systems (IP 9/12) was written by Tom Lennon and published by BRE on 27 March 2012.
During their lifetimes, buildings may be refurbished or renovated, often to provide functions not envisaged when they were originally designed. As a result, their structure may no longer achieve the required fire resistance, and defects or material degradation may mean it no longer achieves the performance assumed when it was built.
This 12-page information paper provides guidance on assessing the fire performance of reinforced concrete flooring systems, which were often used in large buildings built in the post-war period. It provides information about carrying out assessments using tabulated values from national standards and the Eurocode for the design of concrete structures, as well as experience and research by the Fire Research Station (now part of BRE Group).
The contents of the information paper are:
- Concrete in fire.
- Tabulated data for reinforced concrete floors.
- Alternative forms of construction.
- Methods to enhance the fire resistance of existing floor systems.
 Find out more.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document B.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- BS 9999.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Concrete and fire safety.
- Fire performance of external thermal insulation for walls of multistorey buildings, third edition (BR 135).
- Fire protection engineering.
- Managing fire risk in commercial buildings: A guide for facilities managers.
- Managing risks in existing buildings: An overview of UK risk-based legislation for commercial and industrial premises (FB 86).
- Reinforced concrete.
Featured articles and news
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.