- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Apr 2016
ARCHIVE Development Securities Ideas competition shortlist
Julian Barwick, Director of Development Securities said, “We need to harness the creative thinking of practitioners if the UK is to succeed in the global market. This competition is about harvesting good ideas and a bit of crystal ball gazing. We are looking for free and lateral thought, particularly from those with a fresh view.”
A shortlist of five has now been agreed:
- David Hayes, a first year student at the University of Bath studying civil engineering, proposes the creation of a construction efficiency investment fund.
- AnnaR, a UK student, proposes better information for investors and the adoption of standard metrics for properties.
- Bellytanker, an ex-architectural practitioner and academic, suggests there should be better definition of what the UK is, what its values are and what the vision is for the future.
- Staceyma, a surveyor, proposes the creation of property managed funds.
- Emily Smith, a 2nd year geography and planning student at the University of Sheffield proposes allowing easier change of use between property use class types.
Other great ideas which just missed the shortlist include:
- Providing better information about the procedures for investing in UK property, translated into different languages.
- Crowd funding property development.
- Regional variation in taxation to encourage investment beyond London.
- Community urban regeneration schemes to improve the local environment.
- Michelin-style rating systems for buildings.
- Longer-term thinking and continued phased growth of successful developments.
- Establishing major UK property events to focus and direct overseas interest.
- Developing properties with more character.
- Developing shorter-life, lower-cost buildings.
- Encouraging Chinese development of affordable housing.
- And finally …. investing in Kingston upon Hull.
Featured articles and news
Five things to consider before installing solar panels.
New conservation building for the Louvre completed.
A balance between character and climate.
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.
The Most Economically Advantageous Tender.
Pipe dream or possibility?
The New Rules of Measurement.
Prioritising Sustainable Development Goals on projects.