ARCHIVE Development Securities Ideas competition shortlist
How do we keep investors interested in UK property?
Julian Barwick, Director of Development Securities said, “We need to harness the creative thinking of practitioners if the UK is to succeed in the global market. This competition is about harvesting good ideas and a bit of crystal ball gazing. We are looking for free and lateral thought, particularly from those with a fresh view.”
A shortlist of five has now been agreed:
- David Hayes, a first year student at the University of Bath studying civil engineering, proposes the creation of a construction efficiency investment fund.
- AnnaR, a UK student, proposes better information for investors and the adoption of standard metrics for properties.
- Bellytanker, an ex-architectural practitioner and academic, suggests there should be better definition of what the UK is, what its values are and what the vision is for the future.
- Staceyma, a surveyor, proposes the creation of property managed funds.
- Emily Smith, a 2nd year geography and planning student at the University of Sheffield proposes allowing easier change of use between property use class types.
Other great ideas which just missed the shortlist include:
- Providing better information about the procedures for investing in UK property, translated into different languages.
- Crowd funding property development.
- Regional variation in taxation to encourage investment beyond London.
- Community urban regeneration schemes to improve the local environment.
- Michelin-style rating systems for buildings.
- Longer-term thinking and continued phased growth of successful developments.
- Establishing major UK property events to focus and direct overseas interest.
- Developing properties with more character.
- Developing shorter-life, lower-cost buildings.
- Encouraging Chinese development of affordable housing.
- And finally …. investing in Kingston upon Hull.
The overall winner will be announced by the end of January. They will receive £500 and will be invited to Development Securities’ offices to see how they keep their investors interested in property.
Featured articles and news
UK-GBC green paper proposes more powers for cities on new-build housing.
The Pompidou Centre – not a monument but an event.
The Chartered Institute of Building restructures and launches 29 new local hubs.
Designing Buildings Wiki talks to the founder of the world's first indoor biophilic gym, now open in London.
£1.3bn Swansea Bay project to be backed as a 'pathfinder' for other tidal lagoon projects.
Designs released for a proposed Las Vegas stadium to entice the Oakland Raiders.
Have a look at these award-winning concept designs for a thermal bath in Latvia.
Flagship project no longer "a going concern" according to the Garden Bridge Trust as funding slows.
How the work of 20th century urbanist Jane Jacobs continues to resonate in light of the government's garden village plans.
New landmark for the Ecuadorean capital of Quito utilises a sinuous facade mold system.
Have a look at this glass piano and violin building in China.