- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Apr 2016
ARCHIVE Development Securities Ideas competition shortlist
How do we keep investors interested in UK property?
Julian Barwick, Director of Development Securities said, “We need to harness the creative thinking of practitioners if the UK is to succeed in the global market. This competition is about harvesting good ideas and a bit of crystal ball gazing. We are looking for free and lateral thought, particularly from those with a fresh view.”
A shortlist of five has now been agreed:
- David Hayes, a first year student at the University of Bath studying civil engineering, proposes the creation of a construction efficiency investment fund.
- AnnaR, a UK student, proposes better information for investors and the adoption of standard metrics for properties.
- Bellytanker, an ex-architectural practitioner and academic, suggests there should be better definition of what the UK is, what its values are and what the vision is for the future.
- Staceyma, a surveyor, proposes the creation of property managed funds.
- Emily Smith, a 2nd year geography and planning student at the University of Sheffield proposes allowing easier change of use between property use class types.
Other great ideas which just missed the shortlist include:
- Providing better information about the procedures for investing in UK property, translated into different languages.
- Crowd funding property development.
- Regional variation in taxation to encourage investment beyond London.
- Community urban regeneration schemes to improve the local environment.
- Michelin-style rating systems for buildings.
- Longer-term thinking and continued phased growth of successful developments.
- Establishing major UK property events to focus and direct overseas interest.
- Developing properties with more character.
- Developing shorter-life, lower-cost buildings.
- Encouraging Chinese development of affordable housing.
- And finally …. investing in Kingston upon Hull.
Featured articles and news
Opening up the space below the former Floral Hall.
Why was the Fountaine Hospital Almshouse built in such a sophisticated style?
How do we measure air tightness in buildings?
The Housing Infrastructure Fund
Encouraging access to local amenities and sustainable transport.
Publish your thought leadership articles on Designing Buildings Wiki – for free.
Competence Steering Group publishes interim proposals to deliver safer buildings.
Indoor environments should provide a multi-sensory experience.
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.