- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Sep 2017
The mesh is formed into the shape of the structure in thin sections, and should mesh uniformly throughout the cross-section. Rebar is sometimes used as a means of stiffening the structure. On both sides of the reinforcement layer the stiff mortar is applied to the required thickness. Care must be taken to completely cover with metal with mortar, or else the metal may be at risk of corrosion.
The advantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- It can be fabricated into any shape required.
- Construction is relatively easy and low-skill.
- It is a lightweight material with good durability.
- Relatively cost-effective.
The disadvantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- Fastening with bolts, screws, nails, and such like, can be difficult on ferro-cement.
- Labour-intensive construction process.
- Tying rods and mesh together is time-consuming.
- Can be vulnerable to puncture from pointed objects.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
If events occur that cause the completion of the works to be delayed then these may be compensation events.
BSRIA's new Building MOTs Scheme is designed to provide guidance on the next steps after compliance.
At an ICE discussion, the focus was on delivering a Northern Infrastructure Strategy based on opportunity for all.
The Considerate Constructors Scheme officially launch the new Ultra Site status for contractors and supply chains.
The risk of specification errors in the cladding sector is "worryingly high" after Grenfell, according to major distributor.
Here is our outline work plan for a private sector design and build project.
BRE are to publish new guidance aimed at assuring buyers as to the merits of off-site construction methods.
Who are the various different stakeholders in development projects? Find out in our introductory article.
How a BRE office became the centre-piece for major biophilic design research.
A new interactive virtual experience allows visitors to explore ICE 200 exhibition from anywhere.