- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Sep 2017
The mesh is formed into the shape of the structure in thin sections, and should mesh uniformly throughout the cross-section. Rebar is sometimes used as a means of stiffening the structure. On both sides of the reinforcement layer the stiff mortar is applied to the required thickness. Care must be taken to completely cover with metal with mortar, or else the metal may be at risk of corrosion.
The advantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- It can be fabricated into any shape required.
- Construction is relatively easy and low-skill.
- It is a lightweight material with good durability.
- Relatively cost-effective.
The disadvantages of ferro-cement are as follows:
- Fastening with bolts, screws, nails, and such like, can be difficult on ferro-cement.
- Labour-intensive construction process.
- Tying rods and mesh together is time-consuming.
- Can be vulnerable to puncture from pointed objects.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Building acoustics is the science of controlling noise in buildings. Read our introductory article here.
ICE President Robert Mair delivers inspiring message to engineers at opening ceremony.
A form of procurement where the contractor provides a single point of contact for a supply chain.
A month after the devastating fire, emergency reconstruction works are underway.
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.