- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Sep 2020
Site information for design and construction
This could include information about:
- Existing uses.
- Existing drawings.
- Site availability.
- Covenants, easements, rights of way and rights to light.
- Site history.
- Land registry drawings.
- Planning history.
- Legal searches.
- Insurance details.
- Flood risk.
- Natural drainage.
- Known hazards.
- Information about neighbours and party wall issues.
- Key views.
- Pedestrian and vehicular access, roads and rights of way.
- Local transport facilities.
- Traffic surveys.
- Site access conditions.
- Information about existing buildings and property condition.
- Information about existing services and statutory utilities (such as capacities).
- Information about tunnels, wells or other underground obstructions.
- Ownership issues.
- Parking restrictions and allowances.
- Existing planning consents, likely planning conditions and the likelihood of requiring an environmental impact assessment.
- Waste storage and collection.
- Biodiversity and protected species.
- Trees and hedges (including tree preservation orders).
- Hours of operation.
- Potential for phasing.
- Local amenities.
- Legislative constraints.
- Existing policies (such as environmental policies).
Wherever possible, any information prepared or obtained should be in a format which can be readily shared and used, and should be stored and named in a way consistent with the long-term project and operational needs.
Some of this information may also be included in the pre-construction information required under regulation 10 of the CDM regulations. This is information intended to ensure that health and safety issues are properly considered, and the proper resources allocated, so the risk of harm to those that build, use and maintain structures is reduced. See pre-construction information for more information.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Condition survey.
- Contaminated land.
- Contemporary Cartography exhibition.
- Restrictive covenants.
- Deleterious materials
- Development appraisal.
- Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS).
- Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Feasibility studies.
- Ground conditions.
- Japanese knotweed.
- Lighting of construction sites.
- Pre construction information.
- Rights of way.
- Site appraisals.
- Site plan.
- Site surveys.
- Soil survey.
- Technical due diligence.
Featured articles and news
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.