- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Jul 2017
The term ‘engineer’ is a very broad one, covering a wide range of disciplines who use the sciences and mathematics to develop solutions for technical applications. Typically on a construction project, a structural engineer and building services engineer will be part of the core consultant team.
Site engineers perform a technical, organisational and supervisory role on construction sites. They may work as part of a group led by a section engineer, and their roles and responsibilities might include:
- Setting out, levelling and surveying the site.
- Checking the accuracy of plans, drawings and quantities.
- Assessing materials for suitability.
- Supervising and monitoring the site workforce.
- Overseeing quality control and health and safety.
- Planning day-to-day logistics for plant and site facilities.
- Resolving any technical difficulties.
- Liaising with subcontractors and workers.
- Liaising with the local authority, where appropriate, to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Maintaining contact with clients and their representatives through regular progress meetings.
- Preparing reports as required.
Some of the skills that a site engineer should have include:
- Effective communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Technical understanding.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to negotiate,
- project management skills.
- The ability to liaise with a wide range of stakeholders.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.