- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Jul 2017
The term ‘engineer’ is a very broad one, covering a wide range of disciplines who use the sciences and mathematics to develop solutions for technical applications. Typically on a construction project, a structural engineer and building services engineer will be part of the core consultant team.
Site engineers perform a technical, organisational and supervisory role on construction sites. They may work as part of a group led by a section engineer, and their roles and responsibilities might include:
- Setting out, levelling and surveying the site.
- Checking the accuracy of plans, drawings and quantities.
- Assessing materials for suitability.
- Supervising and monitoring the site workforce.
- Overseeing quality control and health and safety.
- Planning day-to-day logistics for plant and site facilities.
- Resolving any technical difficulties.
- Liaising with subcontractors and workers.
- Liaising with the local authority, where appropriate, to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Maintaining contact with clients and their representatives through regular progress meetings.
- Preparing reports as required.
Some of the skills that a site engineer should have include:
- Effective communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Technical understanding.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to negotiate,
- project management skills.
- The ability to liaise with a wide range of stakeholders.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.