- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Oct 2019
The term ‘engineer’ is a very broad one, covering a wide range of disciplines who use the sciences and mathematics to develop solutions for technical applications. Typically on a construction project, a structural engineer and building services engineer will be part of the core consultant team.
The role of a section engineer is to lead a team of site engineers, usually on civil engineering and infrastructure projects. They are responsible for all engineering matters related to a project or specific part of a project, such as a road or tunnel.
The typical roles and responsibilities of a section engineer might include:
- Producing detailed reports and providing technical information.
- Coordinating and supervising site investigation works and planning.
- Surveying and setting out.
- Scheduling materials for ordering.
- Organising site operations in accordance with the agreed programme.
- Liaising with consultants and subcontractors.
- Monitoring the work of site operatives and subcontractors.
- Ensuring adherence of health and safety requirements.
- Arranging testing of materials.
- Resolving any technical problems that may arise.
Some of the skills that a section engineer should have include:
- Effective communication skills.
- The ability to manage a variety of stakeholders.
- The ability to to work collaboratively.
- An effective leader.
- A good problem solver.
- Able to plan and prioritise to achieve the programme.
- Able to respond to change and allocate resources accordingly.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Wall covering used to insulate rooms and fight against rising damp.
New eligibility criteria for EU nationals explained.
Click and lock flooring.
Recovery Advice for Business scheme launches.
Insight paper examines nuclear and net zero goals.
Suburban Americana with a secret past.
New planning rules to protect theatres, concert halls and music venues.
Public engagement in London Borough of Enfield's heritage strategy.
Engineering services in the spotlight.
The Government's Summer 2020 economic update.
Getting organised below the surface.
Securing suitable water systems.