- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Nov 2020
The term ‘engineer’ is a very broad one, covering a wide range of disciplines who use the sciences and mathematics to develop solutions for technical applications. Typically on a construction project, a structural engineer and building services engineer will be part of the core consultant team.
The role of a section engineer is to lead a team of site engineers, usually on civil engineering and infrastructure projects. They are responsible for all engineering matters related to a project or specific part of a project, such as a road or tunnel.
The typical roles and responsibilities of a section engineer might include:
- Producing detailed reports and providing technical information.
- Coordinating and supervising site investigation works and planning.
- Surveying and setting out.
- Scheduling materials for ordering.
- Organising site operations in accordance with the agreed programme.
- Liaising with consultants and subcontractors.
- Monitoring the work of site operatives and subcontractors.
- Ensuring adherence of health and safety requirements.
- Arranging testing of materials.
- Resolving any technical problems that may arise.
Some of the skills that a section engineer should have include:
- Effective communication skills.
- The ability to manage a variety of stakeholders.
- The ability to to work collaboratively.
- An effective leader.
- A good problem solver.
- Able to plan and prioritise to achieve the programme.
- Able to respond to change and allocate resources accordingly.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Medieval passageways with spiritual, transport and economic purposes.
Organisation receives accreditation from Investors in People.
Click the button to subscribe.
Communicating the right information at the right time.
Materials can take on different properties to control heat and glare.
Challenges in the construction sector and beyond.
Exploring brick and timber construction techniques.
On wheels or on platforms, micro dwellings are popping up everywhere.
Landlords must now comply with new repair regulations.
You can add articles and help improve knowledge in the construction industry.
Ayo Sokale explains the struggles of being neurodiverse.