- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Mar 2016
This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Drainage systems such as ditches and canals take water to the perimeter of the polder. Polders are commonly used in the Netherlands where the land is beneath the mean sea level. Historically, polders were maintained by windmills, which pumped out excess water. Pumping stations can be also used to drain water. Polders can be created near a river or sea for easier drainage.
Ground conditions can have an effect on what types of structures are built. In the Netherlands soils are generally clays, sandy clays, peaty layers and mineral soils. In coastal areas, groundwater is saline because of sea water intrusion. (Struyfuz and Stuurman, 1994).
 Find out more
 External references
- Upward Groundwater Flow and salinization in Deep Polders. (2009). Journal of Hydrology, 494-507.
- A Brief History of Dutch Dikes and Polders . (2011, October).
- Dutch Polder System 2010. (2011, October). Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/giahs/PDF/Dutch-Polder-System_2010.pdf
- The Polders in Netherlands . (2011, November).
- Chapter 2 Soil and Water. (n.d.). Retrieved November 2011, from http://www.fao.org/docrep/R4082E/r4082e03.htm
- eusoils.jrc.ec.europa.eu/library/data/eionet/.../Netherlands.pdf. (n.d.). Retrieved October, 2011, from Soil Remedation in the Netherlands : eusoils.jrc.ec.europa.eu/library/data/eionet/.../Netherlands.pdf
- Geotechnology 101. (n.d.). Retrieved November 2011, from http://kshitija.wordpress.com/
- Hoeksema, R. (05/2006). Designed for dry fleet: Flood Protection and Land Reclamation in the Netherlands . 1-4.
- Impact of Water Management . (n.d.). Retrieved November 2011, from Levees And Polders.
- Smith, I. (2006). Smith's Elements of Soil Mechanics . Blackwell Publishing.
- Soil Testing . (n.d.). Retrieved November, 2011, from http://www.geotechnique.info/SI/SI%20Book%20Chapter%208.pdf
- The remarkable history of polder systems in the netherlands . (n.d.). Retrieved October 2011, from http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/giahs/PDF/Dutch-Polder-System_2010.pdf.
Featured articles and news
From alabaster to travertine – how many types do you know?
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.