- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Oct 2018
The room standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling and the number of rooms available as sleeping accommodation is such that two persons of opposite sexes who are not living together as husband and wife must sleep in the same room. Children under the age of ten shall be left out of account, and a room is available as sleeping accommodation if it is of a type normally used in the locality either as a bedroom or as a living room.
The space standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling is in excess of the permitted number, having regard to the number and floor area of the rooms of the dwelling available as sleeping accommodation.
The permitted number of persons in relation to a dwelling is whichever is the less of:
- The number specified in Table I in relation to the number of rooms in the dwelling available as sleeping accommodation, and
- The aggregate for all such rooms in the dwelling of the numbers specified in column 2 of Table II in relation to each room of the floor area specified in column 1
|NUMBER OF ROOMS||NUMBER OF PERSONS|
|5 or more||2 for each room|
|FLOOR AREA OF ROOM||UMBER OF PERSONS|
|110 sq. ft. or more||2|
|90 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft.||1½|
|70 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft.||1|
|50 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft.||½|
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building regulations.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Decent homes standard.
- Draft housing standards.
- Draft London Housing Strategy (blog November 2013).
- GLA Housing Design SPG.
- Housing Standards Review.
- Laying the foundations: a housing strategy for England.
- Micro flats.
- Minimum room size.
- Minimum space standards.
- NHBC technical standards.
- Technical housing standards – nationally described space standard.
Featured articles and news
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.
Procedure discontinued for sale or re-mortgage of buildings without cladding.
The art of negotiation.
APPGI considers key issues for economic recovery.
Progress made on global fire safety standard.
Why did it take 111 years to build this Victorian engineering marvel?
Fantastic cities from above but flawed on the ground.
Organisation unveils supporting tools and initiatives.