- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 01 Oct 2018
The room standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling and the number of rooms available as sleeping accommodation is such that two persons of opposite sexes who are not living together as husband and wife must sleep in the same room. Children under the age of ten shall be left out of account, and a room is available as sleeping accommodation if it is of a type normally used in the locality either as a bedroom or as a living room.
The space standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling is in excess of the permitted number, having regard to the number and floor area of the rooms of the dwelling available as sleeping accommodation.
The permitted number of persons in relation to a dwelling is whichever is the less of:
- The number specified in Table I in relation to the number of rooms in the dwelling available as sleeping accommodation, and
- The aggregate for all such rooms in the dwelling of the numbers specified in column 2 of Table II in relation to each room of the floor area specified in column 1
|NUMBER OF ROOMS||NUMBER OF PERSONS|
|5 or more||2 for each room|
|FLOOR AREA OF ROOM||UMBER OF PERSONS|
|110 sq. ft. or more||2|
|90 sq. ft. or more but less than 110 sq.ft.||1½|
|70 sq. ft. or more but less than 90 sq. ft.||1|
|50 sq. ft. or more but less than 70 sq. ft.||½|
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building regulations.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Decent homes standard.
- Draft housing standards.
- Draft London Housing Strategy (blog November 2013).
- GLA Housing Design SPG.
- Housing Standards Review.
- Laying the foundations: a housing strategy for England.
- Micro flats.
- Minimum room size.
- Minimum space standards.
- NHBC technical standards.
- Technical housing standards – nationally described space standard.
Featured articles and news
Getting organised below the surface.
Securing suitable water systems.
Love them or hate them, they are popping up everywhere.
The initiative to enhance the environment continues.
Could underused community spaces offer an alternative to working from home?
Keeping workers and workplaces safe in the United States.
A history lesson in geographic information systems.
A low tech, easy to use method of extinguishing small fires.
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.