- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 May 2018
A Homebuyer Report is a type of building survey.
Building surveys are a means of providing a detailed evaluation of a property’s condition. They may also be prepared for individual homeowners, home buyers, or for investors in property portfolios to help inform future investments.
- Condition Report. The lowest cost option, describing the condition of the property and highlighting any urgent defects.
- HomeBuyer Report. The most common survey, providing more detail regarding the condition of the property.
- Building Survey. The most comprehensive report, intended for larger or older properties, or where major works are being planned, and providing an in-depth analysis of condition and advice on defects.
Homebuyer Reports are intended for conventional, newer homes in reasonable condition. They are not exhaustive studies, but should identify major or urgent issues as well as areas that might be investigated further.
They can be useful for identifying problems or providing reassurance about the possible purchase of a home, and can provide useful information for negotiations, which might result in a reduction of price, or the vendor undertaking repairs.
There are two types available:
- HomeBuyer Report (survey). This includes all the features of the RICS Condition Report and provides advice on defects repairs, and ongoing maintenance.
- HomeBuyer Report (survey & valuation). This includes all the features of the HomeBuyer Report (survey) and also provides a market valuation and insurance rebuild costs.
However, home surveys have been criticised for containing a number of exclusions, such as areas that it was not possible to access, as well as caveats that mean they do not always give the reassurance that was being sought.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building survey.
- Consumer Code for Home Builders.
- Energy Performance Certificate
- Ecological survey.
- Ground investigation.
- Home information pack.
- Home report.
- Investment Property Databank (IPD).
- Property valuation.
- Reservation agreement.
- Site appraisals.
- Site surveys.
- Soil survey.
- Vendor survey.
 External references
Featured articles and news
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
From alabaster to travertine – how many types do you know?
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.