- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 11 Feb 2021
Hard facilities management
Facilities management is the ‘...integration of processes within an organisation to maintain and develop the agreed services which support and improve the effectiveness of its primary activities’. Ref EN15221-1: 2006 Facility Management – Part 1: Terms and definitions. It is concerned with the management of facilities at both a strategic and a day-to-day level to deliver operational objectives and to maintain a safe and efficient environment.
- Hard facilities management (the fixed, physical fabric of the facility, which cannot be easily removed).
- Soft facilities management (the services that help the facility to function).
Hard facilities management services might include:
- Building maintenance.
- Electrical inspections and testing (including lighting installation and maintenance).
- Emergency routes and exits.
- Fire safety (including detection and life safety equipment).
- Plumbing, drainage and so on.
- Heating ventilation and air conditioning services.
- Technical services such as CCTV systems, access control systems and other mechanical and electrical services.
 Uninterrupted operations
Hard facilities management services are often essential to the continued operation of an organisation and require regular maintenance to ensure reliability. Some aspects of hard facilities management may be important for the continued safe operation of the facility and may be required by legislation such as the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
Hard facilities management services may be incorporated into a planned preventive maintenance (PPM) strategy that minimises the likelihood of service interruption and breakdowns. PPM has the advantage of enabling a more proactive approach to maintenance and helps avoid small issues from becoming larger ones at a later date.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Asset management.
- BIM and facilities management.
- Building automation.
- Business process outsourcing (BPO).
- Facilities management.
- Facilities management audit FMA.
- Institute of Workplace and Facilities Management IWFM.
- Maximising maintenance budgets after lockdown.
- Planned preventive maintenance.
- Property management.
- Smart buildings.
- Soft facilities management.
- Vested outsourcing.
- Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
Featured articles and news
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.