- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Feb 2021
- Garages or sheds.
- Internal private spaces, such as dedicated spaces in a utility room.
- External or internal communal cycle stores.
- Proprietary systems.
Communal cycle storage should meet the following criteria:
- Spaces should be in racks that are covered overhead, and the racks should be fixed to a permanent structure (such as a building or hardstanding).
- Where the location is external to the home, access from the bike storage area to a pedestrian or cycle route is not permitted through the home.
The distance between each cycle rack and surrounding obstructions (e.g. walls) should allows for bikes to be easily stored and accessed.
Cycle racks must be a minimum of:
- 2m long × 0.75m wide for one bike.
- 2m long × 1.5m wide for two bikes.
- 2m long × 2.5m wide for four bikes.
- If hanging systems or proprietary systems are provided, the space requirements are flexible but the system must allow each cycle to be removed independently.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Are electric bikes the future?
- BRE articles.
- BREEAM Cyclist Facilities.
- Car sharing
- China has just built the world’s longest elevated cycle path.
- CIBSE Case Study Olympic Velodrome.
- Cycling and walking plan.
- Cycle route.
- Dedicated and safe cycle lane.
- Home Quality Mark.
- London car charging infrastructure.
- Sustainable transport.
Featured articles and news
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Medieval passageways with spiritual, transport and economic purposes.
Organisation receives accreditation from Investors in People.
Click the button to subscribe.
Communicating the right information at the right time.
Materials can take on different properties to control heat and glare.
Challenges in the construction sector and beyond.
Exploring brick and timber construction techniques.
On wheels or on platforms, micro dwellings are popping up everywhere.
Landlords must now comply with new repair regulations.
You can add articles and help improve knowledge in the construction industry.
Ayo Sokale explains the struggles of being neurodiverse.