- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 Mar 2020
- Garages or sheds.
- Internal private spaces, such as dedicated spaces in a utility room.
- External or internal communal cycle stores.
- Proprietary systems.
Communal cycle storage should meet the following criteria:
- Spaces should be in racks that are covered overhead, and the racks should be fixed to a permanent structure (such as a building or hardstanding).
- Where the location is external to the home, access from the bike storage area to a pedestrian or cycle route is not permitted through the home.
The distance between each cycle rack and surrounding obstructions (e.g. walls) should allows for bikes to be easily stored and accessed.
Cycle racks must be a minimum of:
- 2m long × 0.75m wide for one bike.
- 2m long × 1.5m wide for two bikes.
- 2m long × 2.5m wide for four bikes.
- If hanging systems or proprietary systems are provided, the space requirements are flexible but the system must allow each cycle to be removed independently.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Are electric bikes the future?
- BRE articles.
- BREEAM Cyclist Facilities.
- Car sharing
- China has just built the world’s longest elevated cycle path.
- CIBSE Case Study Olympic Velodrome.
- Cycling and walking plan.
- Cycle route.
- Dedicated and safe cycle lane.
- Home Quality Mark.
- London car charging infrastructure.
- Sustainable transport.
Featured articles and news
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.
Tech will drive professional development in fields tied to infrastructure.
The idea for the structure emerged from the architect's dream.
Changing air tightness requirements prompt testing and revisions.
Government takes steps to revise building safety legislation.
Product can be 'grown' into bricks or used as a self-healing building material.
Anticipating COVID-19's continuing construction disruptions.
Availability payment arrangements involve project performance.
EU responds to COVID-19 with NextGenerationEU plan.