- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Feb 2021
- Garages or sheds.
- Internal private spaces, such as dedicated spaces in a utility room.
- External or internal communal cycle stores.
- Proprietary systems.
Communal cycle storage should meet the following criteria:
- Spaces should be in racks that are covered overhead, and the racks should be fixed to a permanent structure (such as a building or hardstanding).
- Where the location is external to the home, access from the bike storage area to a pedestrian or cycle route is not permitted through the home.
The distance between each cycle rack and surrounding obstructions (e.g. walls) should allows for bikes to be easily stored and accessed.
Cycle racks must be a minimum of:
- 2m long × 0.75m wide for one bike.
- 2m long × 1.5m wide for two bikes.
- 2m long × 2.5m wide for four bikes.
- If hanging systems or proprietary systems are provided, the space requirements are flexible but the system must allow each cycle to be removed independently.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Are electric bikes the future?
- BRE articles.
- BREEAM Cyclist Facilities.
- Car sharing
- China has just built the world’s longest elevated cycle path.
- CIBSE Case Study Olympic Velodrome.
- Cycling and walking plan.
- Cycle route.
- Dedicated and safe cycle lane.
- Home Quality Mark.
- London car charging infrastructure.
- Sustainable transport.
Featured articles and news
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.