- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Jan 2021
Conventions for U-value calculations (BR443 2e 2019)
The 2019 edition of Conventions for U-value calculations (BR443 2e 2019), was published by BRE in November 2020. It was written by Ludmilla Kosmina, and dedicated to Brian Anderson, the author of the 2002 and 2006 editions, who died unexpectedly in 2016.
The report is concerned with the calculated U-values of new building elements, including walls, roofs, floors, windows and doors. Guidance is provided for: thermal conductivity of materials; issues that commonly arise when undertaking U-value calculations; and types of construction element, identifying which of the issues apply to which construction type. It does not reproduce the details of the calculation methods, for which the reader is referred to the relevant British Standards and other sources.
For constructions that cannot be handled by the basic calculation methods, the U-value can be calculated by numerical analysis or measured by a hot box method. The report gives guidance on the appropriate standards used for establishing the measured values of thermal transmittance (U-value) and the appropriate standards used for establishing the thermal resistance (R-value) of a construction layer by numerical calculation.
The contents of the 80-page report are:
- U-value calculation: Simplified methods and numerical methods.
- Details of U-value calculations.
- Elements adjacent to an unheated space.
- Expression of results and areas to which U-values apply.
- U-values for walls.
- U-values for roofs.
- U-values for floors.
- U-values for basements and swimming pools.
- U-values for windows, roof windows and rooflights.
- Curtain walls.
- Dynamic transparent building elements.
- U-values for doors.
- U-values of existing (old) walls, roofs, and floors in dwellings.
- Appendix A: Glossary/definitions.
- Appendix B: U-values of uninsulated floors.
- Appendix C: Example of calculating U-value for elements.
- References and further reading.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Approved document L.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building regulations.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Conventions for calculating linear thermal transmittance and temperature factors.
- Conventions for U-value calculations (2006 edition) BR 443.
- Kappa value.
- Simplified Building Energy Model.
- Standard Assessment Procedure.
- Thermal bridge.
- Thermal mass.
- U value.
- U-value conventions in practice: Worked examples using BR 443.
Featured articles and news
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.