- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Jan 2018
Community-led housing is a means by which local communities play a central role in providing their own housing. It can be use to specifically help certain groups, such as older people. The adopted approach depends on a range of factors, such as; the demand, available resources, location, and so on.
Community-led housing represents about 1% of the current UK housing stock. The general concept behind community-led housing is that the housing can be rented to people who live in the local community at affordable rates.
The different approaches broadly classified as community-led housing, include:
These approaches can encompass new build, regeneration works and the repurposing of existing buildings.
The general principles of community-led housing include:
- Community engagement and consent throughout the process.
- The development process does not necessarily have to be initiated, nor the houses built, by the community.
- The homes are owned, managed and stewarded by the local community group.
- Asset locks legally protect the benefits to the local area.
The benefits of community-led housing include:
- Provision of additional housing.
- The house building industry is diversified.
- Older and vulnerable people are provided with choice for appropriate housing.
- Popular support for new homes can be mobilised.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.