- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Oct 2019
Civil Engineering Procedure
Civil Engineering Procedure, 7th edition Civil Engineering Procedure was first published by ICE in 1963, providing a guide to the stages of work for civil engineering projects such as the design and construction of bridges, tunnels, roads, railways and so on.
The sixth edition was published in 2009 and included updates describing the principles of Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Private Finance Initiative (PFI) projects as well as the emergence of Early Contractor Involvement (ECI).
The seventh edition was published in 2015/16, and included amendments to reflect the introduction of the 2015 CDM Regulations, the NEC3 contract and building information modelling (BIM). It also emphasised the role of civil engineers in building sustainable economies.
It is a relatively compact book, A5 in size and just 174 pages, which introduce, describe and explain the stages of work for civil engineering projects from concept and promotion through to completion and operation. It is an essential reference guide for students of civil engineering and related disciplines and graduate engineers.
Its contents include:
- Concept and promotion of a civil engineering project.
- Project strategy.
- Civil engineering construction contracts.
- Planning and control of construction.
- Construction management organisation.
- Inspection, testing, commissioning and handover.
- Operation, maintenance and asset management.
- Building information modelling (BIM).
- Conditions of contract for civil engineering
- Further reading
- Useful addresses and websites
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Civil engineer.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Direct employment.
- Direct labour.
- Engineering Council.
- History of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Institution of Civil Engineers ICE
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Structural engineer.
Featured articles and news
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?