- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Oct 2019
Civil Engineering Procedure
Civil Engineering Procedure, 7th edition Civil Engineering Procedure was first published by ICE in 1963, providing a guide to the stages of work for civil engineering projects such as the design and construction of bridges, tunnels, roads, railways and so on.
The sixth edition was published in 2009 and included updates describing the principles of Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Private Finance Initiative (PFI) projects as well as the emergence of Early Contractor Involvement (ECI).
The seventh edition was published in 2015/16, and included amendments to reflect the introduction of the 2015 CDM Regulations, the NEC3 contract and building information modelling (BIM). It also emphasised the role of civil engineers in building sustainable economies.
It is a relatively compact book, A5 in size and just 174 pages, which introduce, describe and explain the stages of work for civil engineering projects from concept and promotion through to completion and operation. It is an essential reference guide for students of civil engineering and related disciplines and graduate engineers.
Its contents include:
- Concept and promotion of a civil engineering project.
- Project strategy.
- Civil engineering construction contracts.
- Planning and control of construction.
- Construction management organisation.
- Inspection, testing, commissioning and handover.
- Operation, maintenance and asset management.
- Building information modelling (BIM).
- Conditions of contract for civil engineering
- Further reading
- Useful addresses and websites
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Civil engineer.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Direct employment.
- Direct labour.
- Engineering Council.
- History of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Institution of Civil Engineers ICE
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Structural engineer.
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.