- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Jan 2017
Civil Engineering Procedure
Civil Engineering Procedure, 7th edition Civil Engineering Procedure was first published by ICE in 1963, providing a guide to the stages of work for civil engineering projects such as the design and construction of bridges, tunnels, roads, railways and so on.
The sixth edition was published in 2009 and included updates describing the principles of Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Private Finance Initiative (PFI) projects as well as the emergence of Early Contractor Involvement (ECI).
The seventh edition was published in 2015/16, and included amendments to reflect the introduction of the 2015 CDM Regulations, the NEC3 contract and building information modelling (BIM). It also emphasised the role of civil engineers in building sustainable economies.
It is a relatively compact book, A5 in size and just 174 pages, which introduce, describe and explain the stages of work for civil engineering projects from concept and promotion through to completion and operation. It is an essential reference guide for students of civil engineering and related disciplines and graduate engineers.
Its contents include:
- Concept and promotion of a civil engineering project.
- Project strategy.
- Civil engineering construction contracts.
- Planning and control of construction.
- Construction management organisation.
- Inspection, testing, commissioning and handover.
- Operation, maintenance and asset management.
- Building information modelling (BIM).
- Conditions of contract for civil engineering
- Further reading
- Useful addresses and websites
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Civil engineer.
- Construction industry institutes and associations.
- Engineering Council.
- History of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Institution of Civil Engineers ICE
- Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Structural engineer.
Featured articles and news
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.
How to get results with building life cycle assessment.
Government publishes a prospectus inviting proposals for new 'garden communities'.
The Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa collapses during rainstorm while undergoing maintenance works.
'Developed design' is a phrase coined by the RIBA for their 2013 Plan of Work. But what does it actually mean?
New green paper published aiming to rebalance the relationship between landlords and residents and tackle stigma.
RIBA calls for a comprehensive ban on combustible materials.