- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Nov 2020
BMS v BEMS
Building Management Systems are integrated, computerised systems used to monitor and control a wide range of building systems, which might include fire, smoke detection and alarms, motion detectors, CCTV, security and access control, lifts and so on, as well as systems such as lighting and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
Building Energy Management Systems are integrated, computerised systems used to monitor and control specific energy-related building services plant and equipment, which will typically include HVAC systems, lighting and power systems.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Automated blinds.
- BACS building automation controls - the information revolution.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy efficiency - is building automation the answer?
- Building energy management systems (BEMS) for data centres.
- Building management systems
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Commercial building automation market.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Data centres.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Energy management in the built environment: A review of best practice.
- Global BACS market resilience.
- Global building energy management systems market.
- Internet of things.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- US Smart Connected HVAC in Commercial Buildings Study 2017.
- Wireless vs wired building energy management system.
Featured articles and news
These post-WWII modular buildings were unpopular, yet ubiquitous.
What's the verdict from the court of public opinion?
Shift to home-based work influences closed plan preferences.
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.