- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 04 Nov 2020
BMS v BEMS
Building Management Systems are integrated, computerised systems used to monitor and control a wide range of building systems, which might include fire, smoke detection and alarms, motion detectors, CCTV, security and access control, lifts and so on, as well as systems such as lighting and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
Building Energy Management Systems are integrated, computerised systems used to monitor and control specific energy-related building services plant and equipment, which will typically include HVAC systems, lighting and power systems.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Automated blinds.
- BACS building automation controls - the information revolution.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy efficiency - is building automation the answer?
- Building energy management systems (BEMS) for data centres.
- Building management systems
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Commercial building automation market.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Data centres.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Energy management in the built environment: A review of best practice.
- Global BACS market resilience.
- Global building energy management systems market.
- Internet of things.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- US Smart Connected HVAC in Commercial Buildings Study 2017.
- Wireless vs wired building energy management system.
Featured articles and news
New fire safety requirement comes into force.
Different types of bridges are meant to move.
A logical approach to handling the internal voice of self doubt.
First fashionable in the US, decorative metal has become globally desirable.
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.