- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Nov 2020
BMS v BEMS
Building Management Systems are integrated, computerised systems used to monitor and control a wide range of building systems, which might include fire, smoke detection and alarms, motion detectors, CCTV, security and access control, lifts and so on, as well as systems such as lighting and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning).
Building Energy Management Systems are integrated, computerised systems used to monitor and control specific energy-related building services plant and equipment, which will typically include HVAC systems, lighting and power systems.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air conditioning.
- Automated blinds.
- BACS building automation controls - the information revolution.
- Building Automation and Control System BACS.
- Building energy efficiency - is building automation the answer?
- Building energy management systems (BEMS) for data centres.
- Building management systems
- Building services.
- Building services engineer.
- Commercial building automation market.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Data centres.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Energy management in the built environment: A review of best practice.
- Global BACS market resilience.
- Global building energy management systems market.
- Internet of things.
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing MEP.
- Smart buildings.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- US Smart Connected HVAC in Commercial Buildings Study 2017.
- Wireless vs wired building energy management system.
Featured articles and news
Six technologies guiding O&M into the future.
Homes carved from sandstone cliffs in England.
A review of the HES pilot project.
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.
Strategies to help provide safer working conditions.
Protecting flora, fauna and the other natural features of Scotland.
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.