- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Jul 2019
Energy management in the built environment: A review of best practice
Energy management in the built environment: A review of best practice was written by Andy Lewry and published by BRE on 17 January 2012.
This 48-page book explains a step-by-step approach to energy management and the use of a matrix tool for implementing energy management initiatives within an organisation. This tool can help identify areas for improvement, prioritise energy management activities and maximise benefits.
The book also:
- Examines how data from sources such as BREEAM assessments, energy audits, energy performance certificates, display energy certificates and monitoring and targeting can be used to underpin energy management.
- Addresses asset and operational performance and discusses how information about both is needed to properly assess the energy performance of a building.
- Explains how undertaking an energy management programme can improve energy ratings.
- Introduces energy management standard ISO 50001 and explains its contribution to an auditable energy management programme.
It is suitable for anyone responsible for energy management in an organisation, from board level to operational staff. The examples given relate to the built environment, but the principles can be adopted by any organisation or any sector.
Its contents are:
- Executive summary.
- Introduction - why manage energy?
- Energy management systems.
- Establishing the facts.
- Utility bills and metering.
- Monitoring and targeting (M&T).
- Energy surveys, audits and walk-arounds.
- Installation, commissioning and maintenance.
- Action plan and option appraisal.
- Financial appraisal.
- Implementation and monitoring.
- Review, lessons learnt and continuous improvement.
- Appendices: Energy management matrices; BREEAM 2011 energy monitoring standard.
You can purchase the book at: https://www.brebookshop.com/details.jsp?id=326863
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles.
- Building energy management systems.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Display energy certificate.
- Empower community energy management.
- Energy audit.
- Energy management and building controls.
- Energy management strategies for disparate buildings.
- Energy performance certificate.
- ISO 50001 Energy Management.
Featured articles and news
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.
Underfloor air conditioning comes to 24 St James's Square.
Consultation on public right to buy unused public property.
IHBC resource offers improved consistency.
New laws to ‘retain and explain’ historic statues.
The principles and art of the possible. Book review.
From horse and cart to hypermarket.
How elements and processes work together in a systems approach.
CIOB offers digital guide to proactive methods of working.