- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Nov 2020
At a glance - Indoor air quality
Air pollution can have a negative impact on health; from short term effects such as eye irritation or cough, to long time effects, such as respiratory infections, cancer or death. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), ambient (outdoor) air pollution in 2012 was estimated to have caused 3.7 million premature deaths worldwide. Some 88% of those premature deaths occurred in low-to-middle-income countries, and the greatest number in the WHO Western Pacific and South-East Asia regions.
In August 2016, BSRIA published a new topic guide ‘TG10/2016 At a glance - Indoor Air Quality’. This is one of a number of of BSRIA at a glance topic guides intended to introduce readers to key industry topics and suggesting further reading. The guide is aimed at those looking for introductory information about indoor air quality, including its definition, history and prevalence. It also provides information on types of contaminants and their exposure limits as well as a useful site map.
BSRIA’s Asset Performance Team Leader, Blanca Beato-Arribas said: “People spend approximately 80% of their time indoors. There is enough evidence that links poor air quality with permanent damages to health or even death. Therefore, we should be aware of the quality of the air that we breathe both at home and at work, and ensuring good indoor air quality at work should be a priority for employers.”
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Air filtration and clean Indoor air quality standards.
- Air quality.
- Air Quality Taskforce.
- Bringing a breath of fresh air to the design of indoor environments.
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan.
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation.
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs.
- BS ISO 17772 - Indoor environmental quality.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BSRIA responds to UK Air Pollution Report.
- Building performance evaluation.
- Clean indoor air for healthy living - New air filter standards.
- Ensuring good indoor air quality in buildings.
- Health effects of indoor air quality on children and young people.
- Indoor air quality.
- Indoor environmental quality.
- The history of non-domestic air tightness testing.
Featured articles and news
Training reflects updated guidance in BSRIA BG 29/2021.
Complete list of 2021 winners now available.
Recognising past and present role models for the future.
So why not write something?
LETI publishes guidance for energy efficient home retrofits.
Predictions about adequate post-pandemic IAQ in non-domestic buildings.
Government publishes plans to 'build back greener'.
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.