- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 06 Oct 2020
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Asbestos surveys can be carried out by in-house personnel or by a third party. In each case, the surveyor must be competent to carry out the work required. This means that dutyholders should make reasonable enquiries as to whether the organisation or individual they appoint are technically competent to carry out the necessary works.
- Have sufficient training, qualifications, knowledge, experience and ability to carry out their duties in relation to the survey and to recognise their limitations.
- Have sufficient knowledge of the specific tasks to be undertaken and the risks which the work will entail.
- Be able to demonstrate independence, impartiality and integrity.
- Have an adequate quality management system.
- Carry out the survey in accordance with recommended guidance ( HSG264 Asbestos: The Survey Guide).
The survey will usually involve sampling and analysis to determine the presence of asbestos so asbestos surveys should only be carried out by competent surveyors who are able to clearly demonstrate they have the necessary skills, experience and qualifications.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Asbestos management.
- Asbestos register.
- Building survey.
- Failure to mention asbestos.
- Five signs you are at risk of asbestos poisoning at work.
- Managing risks in existing buildings: An overview of UK risk-based legislation for commercial and industrial premises (FB 86).
- Pre-construction information.
- Site appraisal.
- Site survey.
- The risk of asbestos on brownfield sites.
Featured articles and news
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.